XVIII

35. that camp of hers

· · ─────── · · ─────── · ·

Percy inhales. There's smoke, a persistent presence invited by the burning wood. It could be alder maybe. Its blood red tint taint her closed eyelids. She exhales, allowing her mind to recollect bits of conversations she had with Chiron. '—alder is not the best choice, it burns out too quickly—'

Trivial and in no way relevant to her current task yet the details of that instance takes form in her mind. Her mentor had been advising about the workings of the camp. She had assumed that it was part of the orientation thing they had going. It was in a way, if one were to ignore that none of the other campers had gotten such an extensive overview.

It did prove to be useful later when the camp began to actively integrate the modern comforts into their old fashioned way of living. It wasn't entirely bad—it fit the aesthetic after all. Still, a fireplace in place of a lamp was a step too far for the environment as well as for the poor camper tasked with kindling it.

A pointless musing, the Slytherins that have been trying to get her attention would comment. If they were to employ their legilimency skills that is. Unfortunately for them, the dancing flames kept her enraptured, a far more interesting indulgence than her housemates.

It is an eraser that gets her attention at last. The muggle stationery snatched and thrown by the irritated prefect. He'd had enough of his friends' badgering. She catches it of course before she's aware that it is thrown at her. Pansy gives a low whistle as the demigod finally turns to inspect the eraser.

"Nice,"

Pansy follows the remark with a slanted smile, "If I had known that throwing something at you would get your attention," she pauses to flick her hair to the side, her bob having more movement than her lounging figure upon the chair, "I would have gladly thrown myself—"

"Merlin!" Theo groans, "Get to the point," he brandishes his arm to display his annoyance, "before she disappears into that crazy mind of hers again!"

"And plan to set fire to your dorm or something," it is with a wry grin that Blaise adds.

The accused arsonist's questioning expression smoothens to a blank gaze to convey her unimpressed state. It was inevitable to avoid the likes of Theo and his company completely. They were of the same house after all and this meant repercussions such as being subjected to his face every other day.

"Crazy witch," the whispers clung to her self, as sure as a jinx. She knew how those felt. The hands-on learning applied in the Charms classroom has given her inexplicable bruises and memories. The rumors that has set the gossip mill aflame prove to be less than memorable.

By courtesy of the Weasley twins and Lee, she has come to know that her fellow peers have dubbed her to be 'crazy' and 'dangerous'.  Neither are labels she could deny but she is rather perturbed that these titles came as a result of the news articles. She didn't even get to set fire to that St. Louis monument.

She was confused at being informed of such news. Hermione's explanation that to transfer rumors was an integral part of developing a friendship hadn't helped. On the other hand, Ron's reasoning that it was just a precaution for her to stay safe had made even less sense. She hadn't even bothered with Harry's list of things that she'll have to look out for that he provided.