VI

11. absent leaders and present noses

· · ─────── · · ─────── · ·

"So," Sirius starts when he's sure enough time had passed for their guest to not sound like actual death anymore, "how're you holding up in the wizarding world?"

"Good." It seems like she's yet to wake up enough to not have all her answers be monosyllables.

"No evil notions till now?" He trudges on nonetheless, "Homicidal thoughts? None of that?"

Percy finally looks at him from her porridge. Her expression tells him that she might be having one now. "Not yet."

"Shame." he heaves a sighs as dramatic as one can be. "What'll you talk with my Mum over tea?"

"I don't think I've to do all the talking." With every spoon of the tasteless sludge, she regains her ability to converse. "After all you'll be there hmm?"

Sirius squints at her over his empty bowl, cautious, "No I'll not be there."

"But I'm inviting you!" She smiles, would have been an innocent thing if not for its crooked nature that paints her to be mischievous. "C'mon Black, you can't refuse your guest now can you?"

"I don't give a shit about—" his defense is shot down at his own thoughts of a safe house for his best friend and his godson. The well concealed acres of property spread across all over the world and the more than sufficient vaults that were tied to his name. He can't lose it, he can't force them to live in a state of poverty. He can't let them down again.

The sleep deprived aurors around them manage a few chuckles at Sirius' sullen glare. He can survive his Mother though he would argue that the dementors were better company.

"Or," Percy leans towards him in a conspirational manner, pushing back her hair with the odd gray streaks, "we both don't have to go."

"I'm an escaped convict," he retorts. Remus huffs in his goblet, recognizing the claim to be his inability to make up witty comeback.

The girl rolls her eyes of all things. "Really? I didn't know," she has indeed known it. Hard to forget when that happens to be her first impression of him, proclaimed as a matter of fact along with his name. "You're not special man,"

"You're a criminal?" Remus' phrasing makes it clear that he himself does not think about his best friend as such. His tone isn't accusing too, merely curious. Although her file has been concerning, there weren't any records that resembled her grandfather's.

"Technically—" she pauses with a finger hovering in the air, puzzled, "I don't know but I was wanted for arson and collateral damage for some time."

That gets the collective attention of Kingsley and Hestia. "You're a wanted person?"

"Was," she corrects with a raise of an eyebrow. "And it wasn't even my fault. I just happened to be there."

Molly enters, having woken up the kids to witness a stare down between the aurors and their guest. "Now Sirius, leave the poor girl alone." That gets all of them to wake up then.

"Thanks Molly," Percy toasts her goblet to the woman with a small grin.

She nods with a smile of her own, spelling the dirty dishes clean. "How're you feeling now Percy?"

"Better,"

Sirius barely allows for her to answer. "Molly? Now how did you make that happen?" he turns to the woman, far more concerned than necessary. "Are you alright Molly?"