XXII

43. saving the giant squid or whatever

· · ─────── · · ─────── · ·

Saturday finds her wallowing in despair. She's pathetic enough that Theo snaps, "What's the matter with you today?"

Percy continues to look forlornly through the window of their charms classroom. "It's Steve,"

"Who?"

"The squid," Draco deadpans.

"The Giant Squid,"

"Yes, so what's wrong with—" Pansy grimaces, "—Steve?"

"He's hurt," she sounds absolutely devastated, "and there's no one to help him,"

Rather than inquiring how the hell she knows that, they skip to the next question, "How?"

"I don't know Pans," her voice hardens, her eyes narrowing at the lake, reflecting frustration reserved for someone else. "If only they would just let me go,"

That explained why she wasn't swimming in the waters, rescuing Steve rather cooped up with them in the History of Magic classroom.

Draco rolls his eyes and strides out, muttering,  "You and your problems, I swear to salazar—"

Blaise follows him out. Pansy pulls her along and she goes. She doesn't question. She allows them to drag her to Merlin knows where, hearing Millie joining them and their chatter but doesn't really listen to it.

They pass the hallways and she continues to watch the stones they cover. Soon, the floors give way to Hogwarts grounds and then the still Lake where Blaise nudges her.

"What?"

"Go on in," he gestures her towards the water above which Draco was casting spells.

"Save Steve or whatever," he comments, pocketing his wand. He stretches on the shore nearby.

Pansy agrees, lying down beside him.

"Won't Minerva take away points or something?" Percy wouldn't have cared usually but two-thirds of Slytherin fifth years making camp by the shore wouldn't be encouraged surely.

"Since when did you start caring about that?" Millie grins up at her, comfortably settling in Pansy's lap.

"Why would she?"

Blaise can't quite match up to Pansy's innocent tone, "We're just doing our homework by the lake. Would be a shame to waste such a lovely day,"

The demigod remains staring at them long enough that they doubt their impromptu plan but then she grins, "Have I told you guys that you're awesome?"

"You haven't!" Pansy shouts after her as she promptly dives into the lake.

"It is a pretty day," Millie sighs up at the sky from her cosy spot.

"My leg has gone numb," her pillow that goes by the name of Pansy or Her Majesty if she pleases points out.

"Okay," Millie settles more comfortably.

Pansy rolls her eyes. Blaise shakes his head at their twin smiles. "It is an unusually pretty day,"

Draco sorts out pieces of parchments from his pocket. The scraps grow into his charms notes with a touch of his wand. He does it with more focus than necessary.

His friend begins to repeat loudly. "It is an unusually—"

"I don't want to listen to her whine," he snaps.