2.2 • Just Perfect

“So did you like him?” Hareem Begum asked expectantly.

Hoorain was resting on her bed with her eyes closed. Listening to her dearest mother's words, her eyes opened.

“You are asking me if I want to marry him just after our first meeting?” Hoorain asked in disbelief. Which century her mother lived in?

“No, I'm just asking if you like him.” Hareem Begum smiled.

“Okay, what if I say I like him?” She asked firmly.

“Then we'd get you married to him as soon as possible.” Hoorain rolled her eyes at her mother's words.

“And what if I say I don't like him?” She asked the opposite.

“Then I'll ask your father to run a background check on him to make you believe that he is perfect for you.”

“Ammi, you amaze me.” She shook her head in disappointment.

“I know how amazing I am. But did you like him?” Hareem Begum was again and again raising the same question.

“I am not sure. I need more time.”

“How much time?” Now Hoorain was getting annoyed.

“Ammi, please. You are pressurising me.”

“I am not.” She shook her head.

“Can you please lock the door from outside?” Hoorain tried to trick her mother into leaving her alone.

“Yeah, sure.” Hareem Begum couldn't understand the clever request and went to the door. She stepped outside the room and locked the door.

But then a question was raised in her mind, “Hoorain, how will I enter the room now?”

“You don't need to.” And the door was locked from inside as well.

Hareem Begum gasped at her daughter's cleverness and left from there with a huff of annoyance.

✨✨✨

It was past midnight when rats began doing breakdance in Hoorain's stomach. She rung a bell to Hooriya and requested for a plate full of biryani. Hooriya reheated the leftover biryani and headed towards Hoorain's bedroom. She unlocked the door and entered to see her sister sitting on the bed with her hands clutching her stomach. Her stomach must be aching because of hunger.

“Hooriya! I'm hungry as hell.” Hoorain quickly grabbed the plate of delicious biryani and attacked the food immediately.

“That's not a new thing.” Hooriya commented and sat before her.

“Say whatever you want. I won't mind anything right now.” She kept eating as if her life depended on it.

“Who had told you to lock yourself up?”

“I did that to get rid of Ammi from my room. But she didn't unlock the door before she left. And the plan backfired.” She made a sad face.

“I know Ammi gets annoying at times. But that doesn't mean pull up tricks like this.” Her wise sister advised her.

“You know what, getting rid of our annoying mother is bestest reason for me to get married.” She was being honest while saying so.

“Means you are considering this proposal?” Hooriya asked with curiousity.

“I am. He seems to be a practical person. But I am not going to say yes immediately. I want some time to see what I am getting myself into. I mean, he is so handsome and rich and successful. He must have some secrets. Maybe some bad habit. Love affairs. But there must be something for sure.”