5.1 • The Doctor and The Cricketer

Cricket is not just a sport in India. It's a religion for most Indians and Sachin Tendulkar is the God of cricket. However, for Dr Payali Bhonsle, it was all just rubbish. She hated cricket with her heart and soul. But destiny was a bitch. The bitch who loved to offer her what she never asked for. Like she never asked to be the physiotherapist of the national cricket team of India. But the more she tries to stay away from cricket, the more this sport surrounds her life.

“Dear destiny, you are a bitch.” Payali muttered to her destiny who was laughing at her in Payali's imagination.

With a very frustrated mood she entered the building where the so-called national crushes practiced their game. She was clueless. She just kept walking with a hope to find the coach. As she kept walking she reached the field where the players were practicing. There was no bat or ball. They were simply jogging around the ground.

“They are warming up, I guess.”  She mumbled to herself.

“Excuse me, how did you enter the building?” A guy asked.

He was Kunal Banga. The cricket team's captain. They say he is a brilliant player of cricket as well as love affairs.

“I am the new physiotherapist.” Payali replied, not bothered by his bossy tone, looking straight into his eyes.

“What?” Kunal seemed genuinely surprised as if he wasn't informed about her joining earlier. And he looked angry.

Oh, she could totally understand. His male ego was hurt that a new physiotherapist was appointed but he, the team captain, wasn't even informed about it.

What's the big deal in this, man?

Did they ask you about the last woman you slept with?

Payali tried to distract herself by looking around the field only to get even more uncomfortable as other players were now looking in their direction.

“Bappa, what is happening? This is so uncomfortable.” She mumbled to her Bappa.

She was used to be surrounded by lots of doctors and nurses and patients all the time. But cricketers? They and their sport is too aggressive for her liking.

A furious Kunal went somewhere while making a face that promised a heated argument.

“Why do girls even like him? He is so rude and egoistic and...”

“And he curses a lot.” Someone completed her sentence.

Payali turned around to see a guy. His face looked familiar which isn't a big deal as cricketers are no less than Bollywood celebrities in India.

“Oh, my God, you didn't recognise me. It hurts like hell.” He stated dramatically.

“I am not a fan of cricket.” Payali replied sheepishly.

“I am Adarsh Sharma.” He forwarded his hand for a handshake. Payali gladly accepted it.

“Nice to meet you, Adarsh. I am Dr Payali Bhonsle.” She passed him a friendly smile.

“Don't mind Kunal, by the way. He is a nice guy, just a bit aggressive.” Adarsh defended his friend.

“I saw that.” Payali rolled her eyes, not bothering to hide her dislike towards Kunal.

“There is internal politics going on. You won't understand it just yet.”

“None of my business. Where is the coach, by the way?” She asked, looking at her wristwatch.

“Oh, let me show you the way.” Adrash offered. Payali nodded and they went to the first floor where the coach was sitting in his cabin and having a talk with Kunal who was very angry.