Twenty Three

                             - Chapter Twenty Three -

When Abby left her business class, she received a text message from Tara saying, "Hey We're going to have lunch as roberto's" Abby smiled at the girls forwardness and replied, "Sure i'll be there at 13:00"

When Abby walked down the college campus she noticed a sign, a vigil, on it said 'to the remarkable students we lost' Abby felt a tear roll down her face as she looked into the picture of Anika. She was smiling and she was so happy and Abby remembered the moment the picture was taken. It was taken on a summer day and the group decided to go to the beach. 

Abby snapped back into reality when her phone vibrated in her hand, when she looked down opening the text message it was Tara, "Where are you?" Abby quickly typed her reply, "I'm on my way like now! I promise."

Abby quickly rushed to the restaurant where Mindy, Chad and Tara all stared at her as she took a seat. Abby was thrown of guard as she only expected it to be her and Tara.

"Hey guys!" She said surprised as she sat down in the booth next to Chad. 

"Hey Abs!" Chad and Tara said, Mindy stayed silent as she observed the menu. Abby felt an awkwardness as she sat looking at the menu.

"Umm so how is all of your classes going?" Chad asked after Tara elbowed him insulating he do so.

"They're fine." Abby said as she gave a brief smile. The silence stalked the table as the four all sat there looking at each other.

The silence was then broken when the waiter came over,

"Thank god!" Mindy whispered as the tension seemed to vanish when the waiter started to speak. When the group placed their orders Abby had had enough of being awkward with her friends.

"Okay, say whatever you want i'll answer any questions to hopefully break whatever weird thing this is between us."

The group looked at each other before placing their eyes back onto Abby.

"Where do you go at night?" Tara asked as she turned her head to look in Abby's direction.

"Mostly to the park, I take my notepad with me and I sketch all the different trees and buildings." Abby replied as she started to fidget with the rings on her fingers.

After ten minutes the awkward tension had disappeared and Abby realised that things could go back to what they used to be. That was until Mindy tilted her head and asked Abby,

"Have you seen Ethan, since the attack?" Abby felt her hand tighten around her wrist and she felt her heart start to skip a beat. She knew that if she was honest the whole group would despise her after helping Ethan and the friendships she had just repaired would turn to utter shit.

"Umm no." Abby whispered as she looked down not wanting to make eye contact with her friends.

"Okay, great." Mindy cheered as she started to laugh with the group. Everything had practically gone back to normal but Abby felt a huge amount of guilt as she didn't want to lie to her friends, but if she didn't Ethan would have to leave.