XIX

We waited a long while, after dinner. And then a longer while. Erk made us sleep, threatening to knock us out if we didn't make the effort to try and rest. Of course, Kris laughed at him, ordering him to follow his own prescription and the Viking obeyed, because he knew Kris was right.

- And are you gonna tuck me in, nanny?

- Yeah, right and tight, so no way you'll get up.

- Quite dangerous, dumbass.

- I love you too, Erik.

I shook my head, laughing discreetly.

It was around three or four in the morning when the Land Rover found us. Curly explained he had to go back to base to take ammo, blankets, mattresses and medical stuff.

- And the bikes?

- Mac was stocking up on grenades, they're not far behind us.

One more moment, and the bikes regrouped. It was past 4am. Late. I caught myself hoping that there was someone left for us to save.

Before leaving, we took an early breakfast, an appetizer, somewhat, so not to fight on an empty stomach, but light, so as not to be slowed by food and digestion. And while we were eating quickly, Tito was explaining his strategy to the others. Who approved it.

Curly said the truck would be further from the enemies than the bikes, and behind them, which would give the M50 all its might. E=MC², the further the bullets fly, the more damage they deal when they land. Of course, before gravity catches up. But before that, it rocks.

Then, we conscienscously checked our gear – we had done it before – weapons, ammos, vehicles, and we activated the night version of the hi-tech visors of our hi-tech helmets. Then, like astronauts, Erk and Kris checked their own vests. Tito and Bear imitated them, then the girls, then JD, Quenotte and I.

I heard a: "Take care, Erik. I'll be perched, protected, but you..." and a: " Promised, little brother."

From the lovers, no speech, just two hands held then released.

- Ah, JD, Lin gave us something for your better half, Mac said, holding something out to him.

- My better half? He asked, then he saw a bullet-proof vest and mask for dog.

On the best, a blood lily was embroidered on its usual dried-blood field, just like ours. And on the mask, there were two small cameras and a very small speaker. That wouldn't be really useful as long as JD could talk to her. But it would serve the day he couldn't.

Yaka accepted the vest, but it got complicated for the mask. But because JD can talk to her thanks to his Gift, she finally accepted and was geared up like us.

Then we climbed into the bed of the truck, Kitty, JD, Quenotte, Tito and Bear on the bikes, riding pillion. Mac had taken a bike per man, so three guys from Curly's patrol rode pillion too. Rocky – the Naples DJ –, Mischa – my not-really rival –, and another guy, a little taciturn, a Spaniard with a small moustache who we call Gomez, as a reference to the Addams family. Rafa would stay in the pick-up, to help Erk if necessary.

The lot of us, piled up on the truck bed, we felt a little like sardines in a tin...

We dropped Kris and Baby Jane, with Yaka, at the bottom of their perch, we continued, with Benji manning the M50, we dropped the few pedestrians we had behind a series of low ridges. The advantage of our Land Rover, is that it's hybrid and when using its electric engine, and in lower gear, it's very silent. We dropped our guys in the back of the Durranites (that will be quicker to call Durrani's soldiers) and almost within reach.