XXII

We saw the young pilot at lunch, already seated. She blushed a little, but she seemed much calmer and serene.

Kris traded looks with her and went to sit across from her. We hurried to settle around them, moving Erk's plate to the end of the table.

When he came back with the pitchers of water and the bread and saw his plate at the end, he said nothing, put the water and the bread down and sat down there, starting to eat in silence.

- Erik, do you have any news about Kaczynski? Kris asked.

The giant continued to eat as if he had heard nothing. Kris raised an eyebrow. Without being Lin, Erk still has a very good hearing. Then a small smile curved the little brother's lips.

- JD, since my brother is struck down with a sudden attack of deafness which prevents him from hearing from more than a meter away, and since you are next to him, would you mind whispering my question in his ear, please?

- Whispering? JD looked at him funny.

- Yes, you know... you lean into his ear, you take a deep breath and you go up to at least 120 decibels.

- Ah, you call that whispering, you... OK.

We blocked our ears, JD followed Kris' instructions to the letter. Well, JD isn't a drill sergeant and doesn't have the lungs to go through with the sentence without losing strength. But still...

Cook came out of his kitchen and yelled at JD.

Erk immediately stood up.

- Cook, it's my fault, I was a little shit.

- Then you will do KP, Erk!

- Sir, yes Sir!

A cook meting out punishment to a lieutenant! It goes well only in this Company.

- Erk, what is KP? asked Quenotte.

- Kitchen Police, in English, but police in the sense of policed, tidy, orderly. And not the cops. That means washing dishes, tidying up and cleaning the kitchen.

- We'll help you, Erk, said Quenotte. We're your patrol, so one for all and all for one!

- Thank you guys, it's nice, but it's not...

- No sacrifice, a little washing up is not worth it.

- And you'll go take your nap faster, like that, Kris said casually.

- And shall we tuck you in, Erk? Baby Jane asked, batting her eyelashes and with a very knowing smile.

Erk blushed while glaring at her, which made us laugh.

- We could take out the mattress and make a pile in the yard, that would be nice, said Quenotte.

- No thank you, I need to sleep, not sweat five liters of water because I'm too hot. And even though I adore you, I really need to sleep. Otherwise my personal nanny will tighten my suspenders so tight that I will speak high pitched.

The nanny in question said nothing, his gray-blue eyes fixed on his brother as we laughed. The borage blue eyes were also staring into the gray blue eyes and I wondered what they were saying to each other. The Viking's eyes narrowed slightly, Kris's slid down and Erk cleared his throat.

- Well. Kaczynski will be fine, Elise. We won't be able to move him for a while, but we managed to sew everything back together, put everything back in its place. The only concern for Doc is the spine. One of the bullets that went through him came to rest right against it and Doc can't say what's going to happen. They are exhausted, all three, so they're sleeping.