PROLOGUE

At that moment, I couldn't get myself to pull the trigger.

She couldn't have been past middle school, she was 14-- maybe 16 at the most. But even though she was such a young thing, she looked like she already lost her entire world many times before. Even as she looked at me, as I held a gun to her forehead, her gaze looked like they were looking farther than me. They were dull and uncaring.

Maybe it was the sound of the rain crashing down on me, but I swear I could've heard her plea to me.

"Please, end it."

But I couldn't.

I didn't understand what compelled me to do what I did, but the next thing I knew, I dropped my gun, and I was embracing the young girl I was supposed to kill.

I couldn't kill her, but I have never regretted it.

I just wish I got to say goodbye before she vanished from this world.

~~~

The walls of the room shook as another loud explosion was heard not too far. It was a war zone out there but I couldn't care less about my own safety.

All encrypted communication channels were roaring with voices of the men and women under me, trying to make sense of what was happening, trying to reorganize and relay orders, and trying to get back any semblance of control. Despite all this, nothing was happening.

It's become very likely that there's been a breach in our communication channels, sabotaging commands and misdirecting orders to the wrong squads. As a result, nothing makes sense to anyone. I've tried to take back control and lock out the intruder, but none of my attempts have done any good. All I could do was listen in to my people get picked out one by one.

...how did it come to this?

I ran my hand across the velvet-like texture of the wooden table in front of me. On top of it were photos from my memories. A photo of me as an infant with my parents, of me as a child and my teenage years with my grandfather, and of my last years with him.

Gramps...

I'll always be thankful to that man. He picked me up and raised me like his own daughter after my parents died. I don't remember much about my time with my parents since I was so little. My oldest memory was of Gramps arriving at the hospital with relief in his eyes. He always told me he was so glad that I survived and that his heart almost stopped when he received the call about the accident. He always ended up talking about that day whenever he got really drunk and all his deep inner thoughts came rushing out.

That was over twenty years ago, and he spent the rest of his life making sure I lived like a princess, because in his words, I was his princess, as much as I want to cringe saying that.

I'm really sorry, Gramps. I really am. You entrusted me with your massive empire, and yet, here I am, having carelessly let an attack of this scale happen under my watch. You gave me all the training and resources to become the heir you deserve, but I still wasn't enough.

But that doesn't mean I won't be going down without a fight. I opened communication to all channels and gave out a heartfelt order.

"ALL PERSONNEL WHO HEAR THIS COMMAND! THE ENEMY'S ATTEMPT TO UNDERMINE OUR EMPIRE IS NOTHING BUT A FUTILE ATTEMPT! WE WILL EMERGE VICTORIOUS IN THE END, AND THEY'LL LEARN WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THEY DARE CHALLENGE US! THIS IS A CODE LADON, AND THIS DAY IS OURS!"

Fighting cries echoes through all communication channels as I finished my command. Good, it came through to everyone. Of course, it goes without saying, but I'll also be joining the fight. I'm not just leaving all the fun to my men.