Ch. 2: False Memories?

Not too long after Alfred-- otherwise known as Mr. Fontaine, sent the maid off, she returned again, this time with the lord that was visiting, Lord Paillart.

I was still seated on the velvet couch that Alfr-- Mr. Fontaine led me to earlier when the man came in. He looked to be around his late 30s or early 40s--maybe older from the appearance of the streaks of grey on his hair, and had an arrogant air to him. He had regal clothes on him, a nice set of black trousers and slacks laced with gold and silver embroidery, and a blue cape that's hooked to an epaulette on his left shoulder and his belt. Truly befitting someone referred with 'Lord' before their name.

In my eyes, however, he just reminded me of the upper echelon of those damn Paladins! My theory that they sent me here on a covert mission still stands! They've had me assist in missions before, sometimes even impromptu! It had only ever been missions where I had to assist William and his squad, but I guess they've finally gotten bold enough to send me solo without even informing me! Those fantasy-fanatics!

I guess I was letting my frustrations appear on my face though, because as soon as Mr. Paillart came close to me, he seemed to frown even more and even let out a very audible scoff.

Huh? What the fuck did I do? I'm not the one who called you here when you just wanted to visit. Blame that guy over there if you want to be angry at someone! It was Alfred that called you here-- GOD! DAMN! IT! I CALLED HIM ALFRED AGAIN!

I've been unconsciously calling MR. FONTAINE Alfred since the first time I uttered his name and it's messing with my head so badly, I don't understand why!

"Glad to see you're finally awake, boy." Mr. Paillart greeted me with the driest sarcastic and most antagonistic tone I've ever heard. What the fuck is this guy's problem? And that boy. I don't need to be reminded by the presence of those dangly things!

"Can't say I'm glad about your tone of voice, though." I dryly jeered back at him. This guy is seriously starting to piss me off even more.

"Oh-ho! And you have enough energy to maintain that rudeness of yours! Your little nap must have been so refreshing, Young Julius!" The old man smugly sneered. I couldn't help but let out a scoff at him.

This fucking guy! It sounded to me like Julius had been in some kind of incident and was likely even kidnapped and--if this is his body--tortured! Yet this guy had enough empathy to make fun of his--my rest?! All because I had the gall to look annoyed when he came in?! What a douchebag!

"L-Lord Paillart, Julius has only just woke up! And just a moment ago, he was struck with pain! I kindly ask that you set aside any animosity between you for now and examine his current state!" Alfred--MR. FONTAINE got in between my spat with Lord Assfart, and even physically between us.

I wanted to scoff. Is this the normal encounter between Julius and this guy? And Julius is a kid, right? This guy couldn't even be the fucking adult like he should be? He actually goes on fucking spats with a kid? What a joke. I take back what I said. This guy does not fit being called a Lord.

"Master Julius, please calm down. Lord Paillart needs to examine you now that you're finally awake. Please cooperate for now." Alfred--MR. FONTAINE implored me with a gentle voice. Unconsciously calling him Alfred is honestly getting tiring.

I let out a sigh-- both because of the issue with Alfred--Mr. Fontaine's name, and because he has the right to ask me to cooperate. At the moment, I'm Julius, and in this situation, Julius had just woken up after being unconscious for a while. It makes sense that they'd want a physician--which I assume Mr. Paillart to be-- to check on him, so I'll be an adult here.

"I understand, Fon--Alfred." I responded. Oh, of course, the one time I actually refer to him out loud, I almost called him Fontaine. Fuck me.

"Thank you, young master." Alfred flashed me a gentle smile. He's such a nice man.