Ch. 10: Not Suspicious At All

After Alfred left, Mr. Barreau and the rest of his entourage led me and Mr. Servant-of-the-day through the Paillart manor to where we were supposed to wait, because apparently, Mr. Fuckass was still busy doing something or whatever. But don't worry, "he'll meet us shortly~!" Note the heavy sarcasm. So now, we're in a room somewhere in the manor's west wing where we have a good view of the estate's courtyard.

Well, I did like the mood and ambience during our brief stroll, I'll give Mr. Paillart's place that. This manor's architecture has a more rugged look than the Velisaria estate, obviously due to having more history, but it's still as, if not, more luxurious in my eyes. And there's a show too! Outside, in the courtyard are knights training and sparring! I get to see what these guys can do, even if it is in their minimum output.

I have very high expectations for this new world.

"More fruit juice, young master?" I looked over at Mr. Servant-of-the-day who already made his way towards the table where refreshments and biscuits were laid out, then I looked down at my glass of fruit juice that was now only 10% full.

"Yeah, thank you." I answered. Right now, there's only him and me waiting in the room. There are a few servants of the estate stationed outside, but they only seemed to have been told to stand by.

Truth be told, I was kind of expecting Mr. Skyler to accompany me again today. I don't know why I had assumed that when I haven't had the same servant assigned to me twice since I woke up. And considering I made my attempt to escape– ahem, I mean, "managed to get lost" under his watch, it's more likely that he might have been barred from being assigned to me for a while. I'm truly sorry, Mr. Skyler. Hopefully, I've done what I can to make sure you don't get fired nor demoted.

But back to the present– after Mr. Servant-of-the-day received my confirmation, he walked towards me with the pitcher and began to refill my glass while I looked back at the training knights. Honestly, they're not half-bad. Half of them are a little rough around the edges, but overall, they're along the level of "Entry-grade" field Paladins. But don't be fooled by the weak-sounding rank, even the weakest Entry-grade Paladin are able take on tanks with no effort at all. Of course, I'm only watching low-effort sparring matches, so most of these guys could very well be Grade 1 level at least.

I think I was looking at the knights with a really weird expression though, because I noticed Mr. Servant recoiling in the corner of my vision before he turned away and went back to pretending to be busy. But what face was I making? I was intrigued and impressed, so I was obviously smiling, but is it even because of the fact that I was smiling? The servants always had some sort of reaction when they first see me smiling, but none of them have ever recoiled like this guy. What was that about?

"You were making that expression, Bullet." I suddenly felt deja vu, and William's voice rung loud in my head. That expression, huh?

I lightly slapped my cheeks. I should train my face to never make that expression. I had began training my face to not make that expression as Ellie but I never fully mastered it, otherwise, it wouldn't even be an issue now. Though I wonder, did I– as Julius ever unconsciously made the expression before I woke up? Hm, I'm curious now.

"Mister, why did you recoil just now?" I asked Mr. Servant-of-the-day, unintentionally spooking him and making him jump as he looked back at me.

"Y-yes, young master? I-I don't believe I did." He outright lied to my face. I just raised a brow at him in response.

"Uh-huh. Well, I believe you did, so let me repeat my question, why did you recoil just now?" I asked again, admittedly in a slightly colder tone.

"Y-young master, I really didn't–"