Ch. 8: Julius

Hm.

Hmm.

Mhm.

The past few days really weren't part of a dream. I died and got reincarnated as Julius. I already pieced this out yesterday once my missing memories– my memories of the raid of our headquarters, and of the hit squad that killed me– came back to me, but it wasn't until this morning that it really dawned on me that this is now my life, my new life, in a world different from what I've known before. I know I joked about not visiting Gramps' grave for a while, but to think I really would never get to visit him again... it's making me sad.

Even William, to think I would never see that four-eyed stick-in-the-mud again. I didn't even get to tell him goodbye properly, given the multiple holes in my lungs at the time. I hope he didn't get into deep trouble after his mission to rescue me failed. I wonder how the Paladins would hold up without me or my family anymore. Our existence were the Paladins' assurance that none of their people would dare bear arms towards the general human populace, because if my bloodline has the ability to get as strong as we did, there's nothing saying no other bloodline can't as well. But with me dead with no children of my own to continue the bloodline, that would be the end of that. But the world wouldn't go to shit all of a sudden, right? Right?!

Well, nothing I can do anyway so not my problem anymore! New life, new world, new problems! I'll just wish all of them good luck!

I suddenly heard knocks come from the other side of the door of my room. I guess it's time for them to wake me up? I immediately jumped down from the bannister and stood right side up before tidying up my clothes and going back inside my room. And exactly as I closed the balcony's glass doors, the wooden doors on the other side of the room opened, and Alfred came in surprised.

"Master Julius? You've already awoken?" Alfred asked me with wide eyes. Good, doesn't seem like he noticed that I just came back in.

"Alfred! Good morning! I just woke up." I told him.

"I-is that so?" He said with a tone of disbelief, but his expression immediately switched to one of suspicion when he realized where I was standing, and he narrowed his eyes as he asked, "Master Julius, what were you planning to do?"

I tried my best to hold back a laugh because that would've just made me look more suspicious and guilty. I mean, come on! I ran away one time! One time! Why are you looking at me like I'm about to do something stupid?!

"I wanted to let in a little fresh air into my room, Alfred. It got warm and stuffy during the night." I gave him a half-truth. After all, I did go out to take in the morning breeze, but Alfred doesn't have to know I lied about just waking up. I could have told him I just came back in, but he'd probably think I did more than just getting some fresh air– which is true, but he doesn't have to know that either.

"Is that so?" Alfred looked at me with suspicion, but I just kept eye contact. Damn it, stop sweating, my body! This pressure is nothing! Why am I getting so nervous over a small thing?!

"In that case, I'll have someone adjust the ventilation in your room so you would be comfortable the whole night," Alfred told me while inspecting the room, and when he seemed satisfied by the lack of anything that could implicate me, he brought a silver cart into the room. That was my cue to head to a 'small' table by one of the windows in the room. I made myself comfortable in one of the seats as Alfred set my breakfast on the table.

"Thank you for the food," I whispered as I brought my hands together briefly, before digging into the good food.

Mhmmm, the food here is just so good! Julius, you were so spoiled! –or I guess I was spoiled? Too bad I don't have all of Julius' memories, then I'd have more memories of good meals. I mean, it's not like I lived in squalor– the opposite, I lived in affluence, but the meals that I've experienced in this place are on an even higher tier than those I've enjoyed before. The only times I ate like this were when William invited me to eat out. The Paladins greatly appreciated him, so that guy had a big salary, after all, haha!