Chapter 3: Making Friends

Kiyotaka's PoV

The entrance ceremony was a bore - a drawn-out, stuffy affair that left many of the first-year students feeling drowsy and impatient. 

The principal and the assembled students continued to thank each other annoyingly, and the unending stream of speeches and formalities seemed to go on forever. The principal droned on and on, making what should have been a quick and efficient event into a painful exercise in sheer tedium.

But there was one moment of interest amid the endless droning - the mention of the name Kaslana Shiroi. To my surprise, the principal called out the name of a student who had aced the entrance exam, and it was none other than Shiroi - my first friend, and the closest thing I have to a childhood friend. 

I searched through the assembled students, trying to catch a glimpse of her trademark snow-white hair, but she was nowhere to be found. I wasn't surprised - if Shiroi's personality was still the same as I remembered, then she certainly wouldn't have tolerated such a boring event.

But now, back to the main topic.

The entrance ceremonies for elementary, junior high, and high school all marked a significant turning point in a child's life - the start of a new chapter and the beginning of another major trial. For students to truly enjoy their time at school, making friends was crucial, and there were only a few brief opportunities to do so after the entrance ceremony.

Moreover, it was said that if one failed to make friends during this period, the following three years would be nothing short of miserable.

As someone who desired to be social and form genuine connections, I decided to take matters into my own hands. I read Shiroi's book, "Tips and Tricks for Dummy." While I felt a bit insulted by the "dummy" title, it did provide me with some invaluable insight into the art of friendship.

In her book, Shiroi had carefully compiled a plethora of tips on how to make social contacts, create a positive first impression, and befriend those around you. The tips covered a wide range of topics, from basic socializing techniques to more in-depth insight on understanding the nuances of human nature. As I read through the book, I found myself drawn in by Shiroi's humorous yet insightful writing style, as well as her thoughtful and often insightful commentary on various social scenarios.

Having spent the night studying the book, I felt confident in my ability to apply the knowledge I had acquired. It was time to take action and put these tips to the test.

Looking around the classroom, I spotted my nameplate placed near the rear of the room, close to the window. A good place to sit, generally. As I looked around, i saw the room was already halfway filled with students.

Students were either looking at their class materials by themselves or were talking to acquaintances and friends.

I decided to take a more active approach and initiate a conversation with the dark-haired boy sitting in front of my seat. The odds of making a connection before class started were in my favor, and I couldn't afford to miss such a valuable opportunity.

"Hi there, the name's Ayanokouji Kiyotaka. What do they call you?" I ask, extending a friendly hand. He initially seems startled by my approach, but he quickly regains his composure.

"Miyake Akito," he replies, shaking my hand with a polite smile. He seems a tad reserved, but I can't fault him for that. After all, I probably came across as equally stilted.

Now I have to find a good small talk so I can earn more affection points to unlock friend status.

As I made small talk with Miyake, I was determined to earn as many "affection points" as possible in order to unlock the elusive "friend" status with him. So, I asked what seemed to be a timeless question, one that would be easily relatable for anyone: "What do you like to do in your free time?"