Chapter 5: 2 Factions double the fun.

Shiroi PoV

A week had passed since the last significant event. Although I encountered a few interesting moments throughout the week, nothing noteworthy transpired. However, what troubled me most was my struggle to engage in conversation with Kiyo...

Despite my good amount of effort to find him, I was unable to locate him. It felt as though he was deliberately avoiding me or some unseen force was preventing us from crossing paths.

During the week, I also encountered Kushida Kikyou, a girl from class D who, on the surface, she appears to be vivacious and friendly like the affable Honami. However, as I quickly discovered, Kushida is a two-faced person, which I'm unfortunately all too familiar with as I have had my fair share of encounters with such individuals. In truth, I don't particularly mind as I enjoy things that are more interesting. However, if Kushida believes she can be manipulative or use me for her own gain, she is clearly mistaken.

As such, I decided to play along with Kushida's games and give her my contact information. Through this interaction, I gained a more thorough understanding of her true self, albeit her facade was somewhat disappointing.

Oh, and our classes now have two factions. Arisu and Katsuragi have their own faction. It was fun to watch the two compete for the leader spot in Class A.

✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤

Flashback

Noting Arisu's recent acquisition of three pawns — Masumi Kamuro, Masayoshi Hashimoto, and Hayato Kitou — I am in agreement that it was a shrewd decision, considering their respective strengths.

Hashimoto is known to be a self-interested individual, one who lacks loyalty to any group. However, given that he understands my intentions to assist Arisu, Hashimoto has chosen to join her faction. His skills and abilities will undoubtedly be an asset to her.

Arisu suddenly approaches the teacher's podium. I suppose she is about to disseminate vital information to the class, thereby reinforcing her position as a leader.

In an authoritative manner, Arisu taps her cane firmly against the floor to command silence. "Everyone, may I have your attention? I would like to share some critical information with you."

Hashimoto's response is immediate: "Of course, Hime."

Katsuragi's eyes narrow in suspicion as he asks, "What kind of information, Sakayanagi?"

Katsuragi, clearly leading a rival faction, questions her authority, prompting other members of his faction to follow suit. But their protests are met with resistance from Arisu's loyalists, leading to chaos and protests among the students.

I slam my hand on the table, drawing the attention of the entire class.

"May I have your attention? Listen before offering your opinion, and please refrain from engaging in unnecessary conflict. We are all in high school now, and we should carry ourselves with a greater degree of maturity. Behave like adults, not like young children."

My speech seemed to have the intended effect, as the class fell silent in response to my authoritative tone. Moreover, I provided Arisu with a reassuring smile, which she returned with a nod of gratitude.

Arisu stood proudly at the podium and addressed the classroom with a confident tone. "Ahem...You must have noticed that we've been receiving a generous monthly stipend of 100,000 Yen from the school, even though it's funded by the government. However, I highly doubt the school would continue offering this amount for no apparent reason. The loss of 576 million Yen every year for the sake of all students, regardless of grade, hardly seems justifiable — it's akin to throwing away money.''