You Do?

"Girl this better be important—I was in the middle of watching Beyonce's film," Cher's voice flooded through my phone as I paced the bathroom. What I was about to say aloud felt insane, but I knew Cher would help me through it.

"Wait, Homecoming? You're rewatching that again?" I said, and the rushed words were clear, easily giving away how nervous I was. 

"Girl, first off, you can never rewatch it enough times—and second off, why the fuck do you sound so on edge? I'm practically getting second-hand nervousness just from even talking to you," Cher said, chewing on something crunchy, which I assumed to be popcorn. 

I sucked a slight breath, realizing I had come to a nerve-racking realization, and I wasn't quite sure where this would leave the entire dynamic we had built at Harvard. And on top of that, where it would leave Chicago and me. 

"Girl, you got five seconds to spit it out or I'm calling my pilot to fly me over to Cali," Cher said. 

I nodded a few times, pacing the wood floors, "I-um—I have feelings for Chicago." 

I practically felt my heart strike against my chest with each beat as the line went completely silent, anticipating Cher's response to the confession. 

"Girl, all you had to do was lead with that," Cher said, laughing slightly to herself, which easily caused my pacing to halt and a small smile to grow on my lips. "If that's really how you feel and you're ready to go there with Chi then I'm happy for you, Lo." 

I felt my smile grow even bigger, shaking my head from how sore my cheeks were growing, "Really? You really mean that?" 

Cher's laugh flooded through the phone yet again, "Of course, I mean it—Chi really seems like a good person, and she treats you with so much care," she said, munching on some more of her popcorn. "Besides, it's so obvious there's something between you guys—there's really no use in fighting it if you're ready to go there with her." 

I nodded, practically grinning to myself, "Yeah... I think I am. I'm just also scared that I may not be. What if she doesn't feel the same wa—" 

"Oh, girl, she definitely feels the same way. Trust me," Cher cut me short snickering to herself like it was the funniest thing ever. "It's all about the way she looks at you—and I swear it's like her eyes light up. It's actually kind of cute." 

I felt my grin manage to grow even more, feeling the overwhelming urge to just run out of the bathroom and confess my feelings to Chicago at this very second. Even talking about her made me feel all giddy inside. 

"Look Lo, everything will work out how it's supposed to work out—my advice is to just go with the flow, and follow your heart. No matter what, you'll always end up where you're meant to be," Cher said, easily calming whatever nerves that were still spiked up. 

Cher's take always meant the most to me—I always had to hear her opinion on something before going through with it, especially since it's nice to take a step back and get a second opinion. 

Now having Cher's approval and support, I felt so much better, and most importantly, less anxious. 

I let out a deep breath, "Thank you, Cher." 

Cher hummed, "You know I got you girl—Now, you better be heading toward Chicago to confess those feelings." 

I smiled, shaking my head to myself as I exited the bathroom, "I am," I said a little lower as I walked through the restaurant. 

Cher squealed happily, "You better let me know all the details when you're back from Cali—talk soon. Love you." 

 I felt my smile grow when Chicago's eyes diverted over to me, "Love you more," I said, ending the call as I made it toward the booth.