Chapter 35

Several months had already passed and things were the same, nothing had changed.

  We didn't have a plan to gain our freedom, we were just making our living in that building, isolated from the rest of the world.

  But the moment of freedom was getting closer and closer, but we didn't know it yet.

   From so much isolation, the others had started arguing with each other over little things, and Caleb and I were kind of protective parents to them.

  Every time there was a conflict we would gather everyone and give a speech about how we need to be united, because basically we are extra in this world and no one is on our side, we only have each other.

  At one time, at one such meeting, I was speaking to the others, and Caleb suddenly fainted.

  We panicked, we didn't know what to do, and Caty came over and whispered, "This is for you.".

  I thought someone hurt him to get revenge on me, but it was just the opposite. Caty told me to take him into the office and she followed us.

  -What happens? I asked her, panicked.

  - It's your father. He wants to talk to you and doesn't have much time.

  -Why so? Did he harm Caleb?

  - No, everything will be fine, don’t worry. It's just that he's been in hell for too long, and he wasn’t supposed to stay there if he doesn't belong there. Now he is much more vulnerable. This was the only way so let's not waste any more time.

  At that moment she knelt down next to Caleb, closed her eyes, clasped her hands together and he stood up. Except instead of Caleb, it was Rafael's soul there, my father.

  The moment he looked at me, tears started to flood his eyes and he cupped my face in his hands. It was very strange to see my lover's face but know there was someone else inside.

  Suddenly he started talking to me:

  -My dear and precious girl, you will achieve great things. I can't stay very long, you just need to know that together with this man you can create your own world. Seven days from today is the opportune time. It is the only chance of escape.

  Then Caleb passed out again, not giving me a chance to say anything. Caty looked weak too, so I helped her sit on the couch in the office.

  In a few moments Caleb also recovered, who had no idea what had happened. He was looking at us confused and waiting for answers.

  I was expecting the same from Caty because I didn't understand anything anymore.

  I gave her a few minutes to catch her breath, then I asked her what my father meant and how she knew it was him.

  -He appeared in my dream last night, saying he wanted to talk to you, she said. He told me he would show up today, but not how or when. I had to be alert and ready to act quickly. You know he's still on the Shadow Council, and today he found a way to contact you without being suspected. Your mother probably contacted him somehow and restored his memories.

  Caleb was still looking confused between me and Caty, but he knew he would get all the answers if he listened.

  -Okay, but what did he mean by "you can create a new world with this man, your world"? And why seven days? What happens then?

  -Literally, you can create your own world. You are the one who united the two great powers and together with your soul mate, you are invincible.

  As we talked, Caty grew more and more excited. I was terrified because I had just been given a huge responsibility and I didn't feel ready for it.

  -In seven days there will be a solar eclipse, Caty continued, looking at the calendar. Karina's powers will be at their maximum strenght, and so will the energy between the two of you. You realize? You will have such great power, and with Karina's help, you will be able to change everyone's lives! I'm going to go right now to get her in on that. We need to start preparing as soon as possible.

  She walked out the door and I stayed in the office with Caleb, looking at each other.

  - Do you know what that means? I asked him, terrified. Are you ready for this?

  -When I founded this Brotherhood I swore to do everything in my power to protect people like me. If that's what I have to do, that's what I'll do. Besides, next to you I feel that the impossible becomes possible.

  Looking back, I realize that this is what my mother meant when she wrote that note. The two tried to build a world of their own, but failed.

  And then a terrible thought occurred to me: what if I failed to do this too? What if I will ruin everyone's only chance for salvation? It was a huge responsibility that overwhelmed me.

  I removed all these negative thoughts and we both started towards Karina's room.

  We didn't want to leave her on her own to research and find a way to help us, because at the end of the day the burden was on my shoulders and Caleb's.

  The three of us took all the spell books from the shelf, looking for something that could help us. I went through them all, line by line, page by page, which took about two days, because there were so many books, but we found nothing.

  Karina told us that the only thing she found was an incantation to tighten the already created bond of soul mates, but nothing about creating a new world.

  I immediately ran to my room, remembering the note my mother had left. I took it out of the closet, re-read it and found the solution, even if it was a very risky one.

  I ran back to Karina and told her the story of the note. She was looking at me with excitement, but also fear at the same time.

  -As far as I understand from this note, at that moment you will know what to do. But what if it doesn't happen? What if something goes wrong? I don’t know what to say. I can use the spell to amplify the bond between the two of you, but there's nothing else I can do. You are on your own.

  - Don’t worry, everything will be fine. I trust in our relationship, in my parents, in you.

  Another four days passed very quickly. The next day I had to fulfill my prophecy and I was very scared.

  I didn't want to screw it up, I didn't want to let the others down. Everyone was counting on me, all their lives and their freedom were in my hands.

  I didn't sleep at all during those days. I was very stressed and agitated, only Caleb's presence calmed me down.