THEY MEET

18 THE OFFICIAL ENGAGEMENT PART 2 : THEY MEET

18
THE OFFICIAL ENGAGEMENT
PART 2 : THEY MEET

21.2.2011

A door at the opposite side of the room, directly in front of me at a distance, is opened from the other side but no one enters immediately

A small while later, the sound of heels clicking against the floor resounds and
.
.
.

Devika enters the room

Her addition to the room enhances the aura. She is tall - 5’8. Dresses in a black formal suit , her hair up in a pony. She is wearing the most minimal pearl jewellery.

She moves around the room as she owns it … in a way, she actually does own the room

I see the Black diamond ring resting on her middle finger of left hand and a different pearl ring on the middle finger of the right hand.

The notion around her is significantly positive and attractive. Her face is relaxed, with her attractive eyes doing most of the expressiveness. Her body language is strong and striking, her demeanour unchallenged and powerful.

Devikas presence radiate royalty and aristocracy. At a look she might seem like just another young college going girl on the other and more dominant perspective , she does look like it ;
A Thakur Princess, with a powerful family well educated and high lifestyle.

Though looks can lie, but as I stand here in this room looking forward to live life with a woman I have never known nor was given a chance to and as much as I convince myself the other way, I want her to be just as how I want.

True, loyal and fidel.

Spending life with her is a truth nobody can change.

But building life with her is a choice and how much I deny, at some point, in some corner of my cold heart I want to choose that.

As I stand here in this room looking at her, I want to her to choose me by her heart and no for, or level of denial can rule over that feeling.

Devika Maithili Rajveer Shergill ,
Does after all looks like a great person

but, but and BUT - looks can be deceiving - however I wish they aren’t

A smile on the young woman’s face, she greets her father. Moving ahead greeting the mediators on the Shergills side, she comes to a halt in front of the mediating lawyer, Mr Ratan Singh.

“Ratan Singh” he says waiting for her to give out her hand for a shake.

Royal curtsy says - if the need, a woman extends her hand first for a greeting, if she doesn’t she probably doesn’t wants to.

She extend her hand which he receives “Devika Shergill”

She greets Ratan Uncles son as well, this time not shaking hands her choice, she turns around to Jaidev.

And a smile appears on her face, a half hug, kiss on the cheek and a sharing of  few words. She shakes hands with the other two Paras and Tej as well.

Turning around to talk with her brother Samarthy, she takes the chair and sits down, which leads to everyone following suite.

She doesn’t looks at me, or probably she did, on the other hand I can’t take my eyes away from her.

She engages in a conversation with Jaidev in a different language, Italian I am sure.

So bilingual : Devika +1 ; Shauryaveer -1 .

Devika breaks the conversation to sign the register and turns page after page, going through the same torture I went through just a few minutes. But another point for her, because she points out several mistakes as she goes on.

“The letter is small”

“Serial number is wrong”

“Suryavanshi I believe is a u, not o”

“Devika is with a c here”

“Jaidev is one name not Jai and Dev”

“Pg 33, a Samar Dhawan, I hope I am reading it right has signed in my place following Pg 35 and 37 as well.”

She completes the 40 - page document returning it to Ratan uncle who is giving the most furious eyes to his son and manager who were supposed to be in charge of the document.

While Samar’s tries to hide himself are futile as Rakshak Bhai Sa calls out for him asking where he left his glasses,
he doesn’t wear power glasses, so …

“I don’t have words to appreciate your error finding mechanism Ms Shergill” Paras jokes and Devika returns with a fake smile reverting back to her conversation with Jaidev. They seem to be in a deep conversation, and something about their both’s tuning does reflect ; a nice bond of friendship.

Samar gets up from his place, joining Ratan Uncles son and Rakshak Bhai Sa in the corner of the room, where i know he is getting scolded for his petty mistakes.

They return back and the newly drafted register comes back to me and signing it, I pass it to Samar, Ved and Aayush and then the register goes back to Devika who further passes it to Jaidev, Paras and Tej.

The room silences as after the final checks, the team of mediators ask for all the important things to be brought in.

Firstly, Ratan Uncle gets up from his place and shift to the other end of the seating on the conference table and two similar seats are placed at the head of the table.

Soon forward, two small saucers with rock salt in them are placed in the middle of the table with an empty bowl as well. Me and Devika we both receive a separate glass of water.

Next enters the two family documentation. These are big rustic leather bound books which is included with a new page, whenever their is a new addition to the family, by birth or marriage. The two heavy books are kept interchangeably.

Lastly, Amrita Shergill enters the room with the two family rings in her hand.

The Suryavanshi Australian Diamond Ring and the Shergill Sun Signet Ring.

The Registrar takes his place in the corner of the room, a mic in his hand and the proceeding of the official engagement in front of him.

...