Broken pieces

Avantika's POV

I took out my phone to book a cab for Aaru and I, since while coming here, I had accompanied Pratik bhai in his car. Just as I was about to confirm my pickup location, I felt a hand touching my arm.

The touch felt quite unfamiliar and foreign and I backed away only to realize the familiar scent - Abhiram. I mentally chuckled at the irony of the situation. The unfamiliar touch of my husband of six years. I had come so far from being practically engulfed in his presence to backing away from his touch.

When I turned to face him, I could clearly see and feel agony - just pure agony, pain, betrayal. And as much as I felt sad for him, as much as I understood how much Kinjal's betrayal has hurt him whilst he's still in the process of digesting all of that pain, I also knew that he has also hurt me the same or honestly I should say much more in these past few months.

No, I was not having a grief competition here, but this is what the truth is. His pain today does not lessen my pain from being isolated by my own husband, my pain of being accused wrongly, my pain of seeing disgust and anger and hatred in his eyes.

"Avi", he gulped, probably it must be the lump in his throat. Kinjal's betrayal has cut him deep, but as far as I know him, all of this pain and the regret has cut him deeper.

"Avi, please don't call a cab. Aaru and I came here in the car. Let's go home.", he had a pleading look on his face.

"Its alright, you can wait here, we will reach home in the cab."

Not because I wanted to be vindictive or dismissive, especially when it concerned Aaru too, but I think he should be with mummy, pappa and Pratik bhai. They need him. I have already gotten used to picking up my broken pieces without his help since the past six months. And also, I already had an inkling of Kinjal's lies and hatred - I am presently just a bit overwhelmed with the intensity of her evilness, but I will get over it. In contrast, all of her family members must have felt like seeing an altogether new person, so they definitely need each other's support.

"Please Avi.", a lone tear rolled down his cheek. His plea was so desperate, so broken, that even my present cold self did not have it within, to just overlook it.

"Alright.", my voice was a whisper.

How Aaru had managed to sleep through this entire ordeal was really surprising, but I was glad that my little boy is asleep. He gets to be away from the reality for a bit longer. Of course, in the coming days I can sense him being affected too, there's a heck lot of drama and tumult coming our way, but I know one thing - Abhiram and I will do our best to avoid Aaru from being affected. We have always done that.

As he was about to open the driver's side door, I stopped him.

"Here, take Aaru and sit on the passenger's side. You do not seem to be in the mental state to drive.", my tone was formal. He chose not to argue and simply took Aaru from me.

Once we had been seated in the car, I decided to ask him what had been plaguing my mind for some time.

"Shouldn't you be with your family?"

"I am. I am with my family.", he asserted, a sudden firmness in his tone.

With his family, does he mean Aaru? Because according to him, I have stopped being his family since quite some period. I just stared at him for one long minute, not knowing what to say further and not wanting to say anything further. Averting my eyes, I chose to twist the ignition key.

"Ahhhhhh-hmmmm", a tiny yawn. Seems like my little monster's up.

Abhiram smoothened his hair.

"Momma", seems like he noticed me.