Immensely vulnerable

Note : This chapter has a dual POV.

Abhiram's POV

Those scoundrels were all arrested by Inspector Dave's team, and we couldn't be more thankful. Now we would have to wait for the trial in court. If it had been for me, I would have ensured that they would rot in jail for their whole life for trying to snatch away my family from me.

That's the thing right - when someone tries to harm us, we might get angry, but when it comes to our family - one wrong move in their direction, and a blind rage in set into our minds, which possesses the might to burn the whole world into ashes.

Presently, we were on a lunch with Rahul and his wife Priya. It was long due. Priya had been granted a hearty leave of twenty days from her job. It was a rarity considering the nature of her job - she was a deputy collector and was posted in such a rural area where there was major social issues. A major chunk of the area was ridden with superstitions. But kudos to her - she was doing a wonderful job ever since she was posted.

"Look at them - two silly geese, but its really wonderful to see them so friendly and comfortable together.", Priya was glancing fondly at Aaru and Sara who were playing in the play area of the restaurant.

"Oh, they are thick as thieves. Ask Rahul how inseparable they are together, when you find them in the kids area of our office. We have to practically separate them while leaving.", Avi added, a soft grin on her face.

"In fact, we are thankful for Sara. Honestly, our Aaru has a fondness for Disney princesses which the both of us aren't aware about much. I mean, Abhi and I were never interested, and whatever we know of them now, its only because of Aaru's interest. While our family has been really supportive and pampers him with those toys, or movies, let's be very honest - the society isn't supportive at all. I mean, I just do not get this notion of toys being separated as per gender. Seriously? I have seen some kids his age and their parents shunning our little nugget for his choice of toys. Unless parents change their point of view, I do not think kids will do. So as of now, when it comes to kids his age, our Aaru just has Sara who's understanding and respectful of his choices. Your sweet girl. All thanks to your wonderful upbringing."

What Avi stated was absolutely correct, but there's nothing really we could forcibly do about this. Changes as these - even the slightest of them bring with themselves a challenge to the existing stereotypes. And when stereotypes stand challenge, not many are really fond of such changes. Even if this is a small issue, many tiny tributaries like these add up to the massive river of gender stereotypes - the both ways.

"Thank you Avantika. And honestly, we are thankful for Aaru. He's the sweetest boy and our Sara and the both of us, absolutely adore him.", Rahul's words were honest and so was his and Priya's smile.

Our talks continued - or more like Avi, Rahul and Priya spoke more while I listened and responded briefly. No, I wasn't impolite or rude - that would never be - Rahul was Avi's important friend and I respected him and Priya sincerely to be ever rude with them, but my mind was stuck on something else.

That day was near - our anniversary, when I had hurt my sweet angel the worst. The memories of that day, and the following days played in my mind on a loop, and I found myself zoning out of the conversation multiple times causing Avi to send concerned glances my way. I tried to assure her with subtle nods, but I knew she would be anything but assured.

"Tum thik ho na Abhi?", she discretely muttered when Rahul had called over the waiter for placing orders for the dessert. The kids too had rushed by our table until and were excitedly debating over which dessert or more like desserts they should get.