Someone You'd Burn The World For

(Kings Landing)
(Midday)

The mood was sombre in the small council chambers, even the wind seemed to die down in the current atmosphere. King Robert Baratheon sat at the head of the table, bags under his eyes conveying the lack of sleep he had gotten last night. A week ago they had lost the Hand of the King in what seemed to be an ambush by supporters of Aegon Targaryen, an assassin had also tried to claim the Crown Prince's life, however, he survived though he is now effective a eunuch.

Quite unusually was that Jaime Lannister was present in the room, a few days after the incident Barristan disappeared, no one knowing where he went, this did much to implicate him in what occurred but there was no conclusive evidence to say it was him. Jaime Lannister at the insistence of the Queen took the position of Lord Commander of the Kingsguard and so by right he was allowed to sit in on Small Council meetings.

The occupants of the room were Robert, Jaime, Stannis and Renly, he had kept out Littlefinger and Varys as they were under suspicion for not only being involved in the incident but supporting the Targaryens.

"Stannis, have you found anything?" Robert asks in a tired voice, losing his father figure was hard enough but he also had to deal with the wailing and screeching of his wife for the past week.

Stannis nodded, he placed certain documents onto the table "The warehouse was owned by Baelish, though unfortunately, it doesn't prove anything, he owns many properties in Kings landing"

Renly laughs "What would Littlefinger have to gain from supporting the Targaryens, he's already Master of Coin, he isn't stupid enough to think he'll rise beyond what he is"

Robert frowns "You would be surprised what men are capable of, even those we think we know" he grumbles while thinking of his friend.

Robert then looks to Renly "I don't know if I should even bother asking but have you discovered anything of help?"

Renly narrows his eyes "Terribly sorry to disappoint you brother but I have... During the chaos last night one of the City Watch snatched a child heading towards the keep, After some time alone with the child we discovered he was one of Vary's little birds. He confessed that he used the secret tunnels you discovered a week ago to give messages to him"

Stannis frowns at the revelation "So Varys knew about the secret tunnels throughout the Red Keep but neglected to tell the King... even if he doesn't support the Targaryens that is still a dereliction of duty"

Robert bashes his fist on the table "Seven hells! I got one piece of evidence pointing one way and another pointing a different way. I should just end then both myself" he shouts out.

Jaime Lannister who had been content to sit there finally chimed in "I'd hold back your grace, while I'd love nothing more than to see Littlefingers head on a spike they do have important roles in the realm if we kill them and they are innocent then we'd be plunging the seven kingdoms further into chaos for no reason"

Robert sat there contemplating his suggestion before he curses and stands up "I want them watched, any hint of treason HEADS ON SPIKES!" He shouts before marching out of the room and slamming the door.

Though unknown to the people in the room, looking in from opposite sides in separate secret tunnels were Petyr Baelish and Varys. Both had the same thought when they heard the information that was presented to the small council.

'We've both been played...'

They both thought as they contemplated who would've been smart enough and known them enough to completely play them. Even now they had to dance to this stranger's tune, if Petyr didn't try to implicate Varys then his embezzlement might be discovered, and if Varys didn't do the same they might discover that he was supporting Aegon.