Chapter 22. Not Alone.

Asami's POV.

''I do..'' I spoke hesitantly, my voice almost inaudible. ''..love you.''

I wanted to see Madara's reaction, but I couldn't bring myself to look at him. I was too embarrassed, and too scared. How could I not be? I wasn't very confident, at least, not at times like these.

I wondered why Madara wanted to know. Did he already notice? Was it so obvious? Even Mitsuru noticed it, and he was just here. And now I was in this awkward situation, not knowing what to do.

Things really were messed up. If Madara would reject me, would he still be a friend? That was what really mattered to me; not losing him. He may not have noticed it, but he's very precious to me. He was one of the very few people I could go when something was bothering me. I could be myself around him, and he accepted me for who I was. He didn't try to change me into another person, like others tried to. I may not be the polite, respecting and mature person Mito wanted me to be, but it was fine this way. I'm just not cut out for a life like Mito's, and Madara understood that. I did try to live up to my sister's expectations, but I didn't try to be her.

I was snapped out of my thoughts when I felt Madara squeeze my hand. Slowly raising my head to look at his face, I saw a pensive expression. Was he unconsciously squeezing my hand?

Madara's POV.

I came to Asami to clear my doubts, for answers, but I still had one question. Did I return her feelings? I didn't expect Asami to confess after she tried to dodge my questions, but when she did, I felt strangely relieved. I was fond of her, and she was a nice woman.

I intentionally came to her to find out how I felt about her, If being around her made me feel differently. It's true that Asami made me feel tranquil. I could let my guard down around her, and her presence was soothing. She made me forget my worries, and made my loneliness go away. Even though I didn't care about being alone, when she left I had the feeling something was missing.

I wondered what Asami did to make me feel this way, especially because I didn't really like her when I first met her. I thought she was immature, annoying, lazy and carefree, but I learned that even she had difficulties, and she worked hard for this village.

I decided to leave this place when I saw people beginning to stare at us. From the corners of my eyes, I looked at Asami, who had her face turned away from me. It was pretty suspicious; standing in an alley. I held Asami's hand firmer and pulled her with me. The redhead squeaked, not expecting me to do that, and almost stumbled. ''M-Madara, where are we going?'' she stuttered, trying to keep up with me. Her voice was soft, and insecure. Not answering her question, I headed to my compound.

''Wh-why won't you answer my question?'' Asami asked, this time her voice louder. Again, I did not answer. I didn't know why, I just felt like not answering. And she should already know the answer herself.

''C-Can you l-let go?'' she tried to free her hand, but I held her hand tightly, not allowing her to let go. With her other hand, she grabbed my fingers and attempted to bend them to free herself, but it was futile.

''W-Why are you acting so weird?!'' Asami's voice cracked, and I could hear a tint of sadness in it. ''Let me go already!''

We reached the Uchiha compound, but pulling Asami with me was becoming more difficult. She struggled more and tried to resist, without success though.

It didn't take long to get to my house, where she could continue to yell at me without making a fuss. I opened the door, and pulled Asami with me. She roughly yanked her hand from my grasp once we were inside, and stepped away from me. Just now I noticed tears rolling down her cheeks. She was crying.

''You're such a jerk!'' Asami exclaimed. ''I tell you how I feel and you don't say anything back. You made me feel lost and anxious!'' She choked on her own tears, and wiped her eyes with the palms of her hands before continuing. ''Then you bring me here without reacting to anything I say.. Wh-what's wrong with you Madara?! Why are you acting so weird?''

Asami deserved an answer, but I couldn't give it to her. I didn't know what to say, or how to say it. I couldn't even describe what I felt, so how could I tell her?

''Enough,'' Asami murmured, once again wiping her tears. ''I'm leaving.''

She turned around, and walked to the door that was only a few metres away. My chest tightened. I didn't want her to leave, not yet. If she'd leave now, we could never act the same around each other again. She'd probably avoid me and ignore me. I understood where her anger was coming from, but I thought she knew me. Asami could always see how I felt, despite me not saying or showing anything. She only had to look me in the eyes. Why couldn't she see it now?

Asami was about to grab the doorknob, but then I walked at her, grabbing her wrist.

If I couldn't say it, I'd show it.

Backing her up against the door, I held her wrist tightly so she couldn't escape. I acted swiftly, before Asami could even get the chance to slap me across the face, and grabbed her jaw, pressing my lips against hers.

That's how I felt. It took some time to sort my feelings out, but I now knew what I felt for her. It was no use denying these feelings, so I accepted them and decided to acknowledge them.

Asami didn't react. She didn't do anything at all. She didn't respond, but also didn't reject. Her lips were soft, smooth and warm against mine, but also soothing.

After  few seconds, I pulled away, but kept close to Asami, who was still stunned.

Asami's POV.

I still couldn't comprehend what just happened. Madara's cool breath was

fanning my lips as his face was just an inch away from mine. His black eyes looking deeply into my own. I saw sincerity in them. So that kiss..

''M-Madara..'' I muttered, not really sure what to say. ''Y-You..''

''Don't,'' he mumbled, snaking one arm around my waist, pulling me into an embrace. ''Leave just yet.''