Chapter 28. Ruth?

Madara's POV.

It truly annoyed me. I knew Asami had reasons to worry about me, but it was like she was pitying me, and that was something I really didn't want. I didn't care about what others thought, but I didn't want Asami to sympathize with me, especially because there wasn't really anything to sympathize about.

I let out a deep sigh once I sat down on the couch in my living room as Keiji went to the kitchen to get us something to drink. The meeting went better than expected, and I was sure that was because of Tobirama's absence. According to Hashirama, he had other things to attend to. I didn't care. I was just glad he wasn't there.

''Madara-sama.''

I looked up, and saw Keiji standing in front of me with two glasses in his hands, holding one out to me. Taking it from him, I took a sip before placing the glass on the table. And after the meeting, we had to go to the other side of the town, and that building didn't even have something to do with me.

''Isn't that Asami's ring?''

Keiji pointed at the ground, to a silver circle. I picked it up and looked at it from up close. ''It is.'' I sighed. She must have lost it when she fell asleep here yesterday. I couldn't believe she hadn't noticed it herself yet. You can feel it when it isn't around your finger anymore, right?

''Shall I bring it to her, Madara-sama?'' Keiji asked as he placed the empty glass on the table, looking at me.

''I'll do it.'' I muttered, and I quickly drank the remaining water that was in my glass. ''I'll be right back.''

Keiji nodded and I turned around to leave. This situation was pretty convenient. I was planning to go to her today anyway to tell her Keiji and I would be leaving Konoha for a while to meet Kages from other villages together with Hashirama.

Once I left the Uchiha compound, I took the shortest route to the Uzumaki residence. Asami could better be home. She didn't say she had any plans today after all. The first person I saw when I entered the Uzumaki compound was Ashina, the leader of the Uzumaki Clan.

When he saw me, he stopped his conversation with a fellow clansman and turned to me. ''You're here for Asami?''

''Is she here?'' I asked, not answering his question. Ashina's eyes narrowed. He was obviously not happy with the way I talked to him, but I couldn't care less. We both shared the same status as clan leaders, only I stood above him. I was the co-founder of this village after all.

Ashina shook his head. ''Asami isn't here.''

I grunted. ''Then where is she?''

''Tobirama came here a few hours ago and they left together.'' Ashina replied. ''I don't know where they are.''

Tobirama? Why would he come here? So that was why he wasn't at the meeting, but I doubt seeing Asami was a valid reason for being absent. Or he wanted to talk about her about something more important.

But if she was still with Tobirama, it would be likely that they were currently at the Senju compound, so I had no choice but to go there.

Asami's POV.

I smiled as the gates of Konoha came closer. Tobirama and I went out of the village for a little bit to train. I ran into him when he was running an errand for Hashirama, who was in a meeting at that time. Then I asked him to help me train when he was done, and he reluctantly agreed after I kept asking. I knew he would comply if I kept bothering him.

''Asami,'' Tobirama began slowly. ''About Madara,-''

''I don't want to talk to you about him, Tobirama-san.'' I cut him off. I knew what he wanted to say, but I didn't want to hear it again. Tobirama didn't know Madara good enough to be saying such things.

''Can't you see that he has changed?'' Tobirama asked, like he didn't hear what I said before. ''He's falling into darkness.''

''Then don't let him!'' I exclaimed. ''Everyone is saying Madara's only getting darker and darker but no one's doing something about it! And it's all their fault he's like that in the first place.''

Tobirama sighed. ''Nothing can be done anymore, Asami.'' he said calmly, but lowly, like he was warning me. ''He's past the point of no return.''

I clenched my fists as we walked into Konoha. I had pretty much fun with Tobirama, but that it had to end like this was less fun. ''Tobirama-san.'' I said, drawing his attention as we came to a stop. ''I really appreciate it that you helped me today, but we have to part ways here.''

Tobirama sighed and nodded quietly. ''I'll see you around.''

I turned around and began to walk away from the Senju. Just now I realized my voice sounded pretty strained, but I did mean the words of gratitude, so I hoped he knew I meant those, and that I didn't just say that to try to be nice.

''Why were you with him?''

I was so engrossed in my thoughts, I didn't even notice Madara approaching, and he didn't look very happy. ''Do you mean Tobirama?'' I asked hesitantly.

''Who else?'' He grunted. ''What did he tell you?''

I sighed. He was totally assuming things, but he knew he was right. The conversation I had with Tobirama was about Madara after all, and Madara knew that, but now, I didn't want to talk about that. ''Nothing important.'' I lied. ''We were just training, that's all.''

Madara visibly calmed a bit down, and averted his gaze. ''Why were you training with him?'' he asked, placing great emphasis on the last word he spoke.

''No reason.'' I answered honestly. ''I just ran into him, and you were busy. No one else was available at the time.'' I explained. ''But if this bothers you so much, then I'll ask you next time, but you will have to go easy on me, okay?''

Madara responded with a simply nod before he grasped my wrist, holding it up. Sliding something cold around one of my fingers, Madara held my wrist firmly until he was done. My eyes widened once I saw my ring.

Madara must have seen my confused expression. ''You left it at my house.''

''I didn't even notice it was gone.'' I breathed, and I looked up from the ring to Madara. ''You came to bring it to me?''

''Well-''

Madara couldn't even start his sentence properly as I cut him off my wrapping my arms around his neck, standing on my toes to embrace him. ''Thank you.'' I whispered, smiling softly. He had no idea how much this ring meant to me, so I was really glad be brought it back to me

Madara heaved a sigh and placed one of his big hands on my back, returning the hug in his own way. At this moment, it was hard to believe that what Tobirama said was true. I knew he was right, even if it was only a little bit, but Madara acted normally around me. Sometimes he could be a bit more distant, but that was all.

I pulled away and smiled brightly, while Madara just sighed and began to walk away, motioning for me to follow him, which I gladly did.