Chapter 23. Bonds.

Asami's POV.

His embrace was so comfortable, and it was something I didn't expect him to do. But since I didn't expect the kiss as well, I guess the embrace was less surprising. Madara had only one arm around me, the other was hanging next to his body.

He held me firmly, my face buried in his shoulder. It felt so right to be here, with him. Even though Madara could be ruthless, strict and cold sometimes, he also had a different side. One he barely showed to others, and I'm glad he showed me that side now. Kind and caring. I've heard so many stories about him; how much he cared for his clan and brother.

After a few seconds, I returned the embrace. ''Idiot.'' I mumbled, and I felt Madara's chest vibrate when he chuckled. ''Since when did you get so respectless towards your superiors?''

''I'm just stating the truth.''

Madara's POV.

Before, she was embarrassed and flustered, and now she was suddenly acting bold. Has she gained confidence just now? I hope she didn't gain too much. Even though she's important to me now, that didn't mean she could talk to me like that all the time. I wouldn't really appreciate that. Letting go of her, I took a step back, giving her some space. I grabbed Asami's wrist once I felt a familiar presence approaching. Pulling her away from the door, I placed my hand on her shoulder so she wouldn't crash into me. The door opened, and Keiji appeared int he doorway, panting.

''Keiji?'' Asami mumbled. Keiji eyed the both of us, suspicion clearly in his eyes, but there was also something else.

''Madara-sama.'' his voice sounded urgent. ''We've found the remaining members of the Takana clan.''

Asami's POV.

It's been already four hours since Madara left with a few others. I knew they were strong, and I wasn't really worried that something would happen to them, but I wonder what they would do to that clan. Only women and children remained. Innocent children. Would Madara kill them just because their fathers did something wrong? Madara had to fight as a child, and maybe some others of the Takana clan as well, but I'm sure there were even some babies among them. I was strongly against meaningless deaths.

''Asami, is something wrong?'' Hashirama's voice snapped me out of my daze, and I looked up to the Hokage who sat on the other side of the table. ''You've been looking a bit nervous.''

''Thank you for your concern, but I'm fine.'' I said politely, smiling softly. Mito narrowed her eyes. I knew she didn't believe me. Even though we've been apart for some years, she still knew me too well.

''I want to give you something after dinner.'' Mito spoke. ''So come with me then.''

Give me something? I thought she would try to find out what was really bothering me. Maybe she thought that it wasn't important? Well, I guess my opinion wasn't so important. Just because of my compassion and pity, they won't consider handling the situation with the Takana clan differently.

''Asami, are you coming?''

I looked up to Mito, and saw her standing in the doorway. Realising she already finished her meal, I quickly stood up and went after her. I followed her to the second floor, and we ended up in the bedroom she shared with Hashirama. I kept standing in the doorway, while Mito went to her nightstand. Opening the drawer, she took out something glistening. It was a small object, so I could hardly see it from this distance.

Mito turned around, a soft smile on her face. ''I meant to give it back earlier.'' she muttered as she walked at me. I frowned, not understanding what she meant. ''Give what back?''

She motioned for me to hold out my hand, and I did so. Mito grabbed my hand, and I felt something cold on the palm of my hand. Looking at Mito, I felt her hand leave mine. I turned my gaze to my right hand, and I saw a silver circle. My eyes widened. ''My ring..''

''If something's precious to you, you should treasure it.''

I looked at my older sister. ''Where did you find it?'' I asked astonished. ''I thought I lost it in Uzushiogakure.''

''When we parted ways, I went to Uzushiogakure one last time.'' Mito explained.

''I found your ring under the rubble, where our house used to be.''

I thought I would never see it again. When I lost it, I was pretty sad. Even though the ring itself had no special meaning, it was precious to me. Smiling softly, I embraced Mito tightly. ''Thank you.'' I said, sincerely grateful. Mito returned the hug a few seconds later, and for the first time since I arrived here, I felt like our bond was strong again.

<Timeskip>

I kept playing with the ring around my finger as I walked through Konoha. I figured I should visit Yumi again. I really hoped she was doing better. Yumi was healing very slowly, and I was beginning to get worried. I knew she would be fine, and she just needed rest, but it was still taking long.

I stopped walking once I saw the gates open. A small smile grazed my features once I saw a certain Uchiha walk into the village, but that smile quickly disappeared once I saw his blood-covered clothes. His eyes landed on me, and I saw his lips move, like he was calling someone. Keiji appeared, rushing to Madara's side. I saw Keiji nod once Madara told him something and point to me. I was still aghast. Everyone who came back, was covered in blood. It made me sick.

Keiji ran at me, and once he reached me, he took my hand and began to pull me away from the scene. ''K-Keiji?'' I murmured.

''Madara's orders.'' he simply said. ''There are things you don't have to see.''

Occasionally looking over my shoulder, I saw some corpses being carried into the village. Some were burnt, other missed some limbs. I couldn't even see the color of their hair because it was soaked in blood. And that smell. It was really sickening. They were killed so brutally.

I quickly looked away, and decided to focus on Keiji's hand as he was bringing me somewhere. I didn't feel well. Not at all. My chest felt so tight, I found myself having difficulty to breathe.

I tried to think of something else, but those images wouldn't disappear. ''We're here.'' I heard Keiji mutter as he unlocked the door to his and Madara's house.

''Asami-san, wait here, I'll be back once I've changed clothes.''

I nodded slowly and sat down on the couch. Swallowing thickly, I looked at my hands. Among those corpses, I wonder if there were infants as well. It would be horrible if they were killed in such an insolent way.

But hoping for something like mercy was a foolish thing for me to do.

The Uchiha clan would kill everyone who posed a threat.

They were ruthless after all.