49 | sleepless; always running away

"I've arranged for a visit to a haunted cabin. A trip of two nights, carefully arranged by yours truly, from the dawn of the fifth day, to the seventh."

Niklas' announcement was both flamboyant and dramatic, with his arms spread wide and nose tilted to the sky with confidence. From the time of his announcement to the day of the trip, Kaden felt nausea rolling in his stomach.

Noah's attitude towards him was dismissive, waking early and leaving, as if he weren't a roommate, but a guest. Kaden had simultaneously felt too awkward to go bother the dragon, when his avoidance was obvious.

Throughout the week, Niklas watched their disagreement quietly from the sidelines. Kaden who made excuses to speak to the Professor, and Noah who said nothing and wandered off on his own like a true lone wolf.

At some point, Nicola had approached him worryingly. "Niklas. Has there been a disagreement between the pair?"

Holly, clutching books and with an eager glint in her gossiping eyes, nodded. "Yes! They used to be two peas in a pod, the corn and a cob, a book and its words—"

"Holly." Nicola cleared her throat.

The other woman grinned shamelessly. "Yeah, yeah. Nothing I've said been a lie, and you know it. But it's odd, and really disturbing to see them wander off on their own—and don't you see? Both are alone, Niklas, step it up."

"Excuse me? Since when are they my children that I'm supposed to take care of?"

"They're less children, and like two dogs that you have, no, a dog and a cat that need to become friends in order for a peaceful life, do you know what I mean?"

Niklas brought a finger to stroke his very bare chin, musing. "Oh~ I do, I do. You're absolutely right, I can picture it very vividly."

He grinned, and Holly winked in return, their wavelengths meeting and practically granting them telepathy. She winked again, meaning,

'We'll have to be their little helpers right?'

And Niklas winked back, meaning, 'Naturally, we need to reunite the separated couple—'

A book landed lightly on both their heads with a light tap, and Nicola sighed. "I fear that whatever your diabolic plans lead to will actually only worsen their relationship."

"Nonsense. We're professionals." said the two simultaneously.

"Hm, in romance?" Nicola smiled sweetly, a gentle and kind smile. "With what relationship?"

"....."

At toying with people, was the right answer that Niklas and Holly internally agreed upon.

Nicola knew as she smiled and shook her head lightly. She also hoped for Kaden and Noah to end their separation streak—it was unnerving to see, when they'd spent so long glued to each other's side.

A distant memory clouded her warm gaze as she turned her head to the window, where the leaves frayed with orange tints swayed in the light breeze. The seasons were changing, and time ever flowing.

In fact, if Kaden truly wanted to end his friendship with Noah, she would stand by his side with it and not question a single thing.

But she didn't think that was the case.

Down the hallway, a tall and slender man strode closer to the group, his black vest neatly over the ironed collar of his shirt, gold-spun locks pushed to one side, and his solemn blue eyes intelligent.

"Nicola." He called out, and his lips tilted into a soft smile. A real one, promised to only her and another whose portrait he kept folded securely in his pocket.