Chapter Four

Amara

I barely slept, per usual. I thought that once I returned to my old bed, the prospect of sleep would welcome me. I can't remember the last night I properly slept. It was way before the battle against Ranrok, that much I know. The calming draft did little to help me last night. So, I spent the majority of the evening reading the book I borrowed from the restricted section.

I don't know why these enchantments aren't taught here at Hogwarts. Most of them are rather handy if you ask me. Everyone knows students are sleeping with one another. Why not teach them this charm that would protect against disease and pregnancy? I wish I knew...

The run-in with Sebastian yesterday left me confused. I was ready to apologize to him, to throw myself on my knees and beg for his forgiveness. We became fast friends when I first arrived, and we started to rely on one another. We were a force to be reckoned with, and while I don't approve of the path he took, I don't blame him either. I don't know what it's like to have a sibling. The amount of love he has for Anne is admirable. His want to save her became mine, but we went too far.

I was selfish. I should have stayed after the battle with Ranrok and made sure he was okay. I left because I was scared of myself, of the ancient magic that runs through my veins. I left Sebastian alone, which was exactly what he didn't need. I threw myself into solitude, which, in the end, didn't benefit me at all.

What's done is done. All I can do is work on making up for leaving, and it starts with having breakfast with him this morning.

"I'm going to throw up," I whine when the doors to the great hall come into view.

"Says the girl who vanquished how many foes during her first year at Hogwarts..." Poppy teases. Rubbing my stomach, I feel my face turn as an intense wave of nausea hits me. Softening her playful expression, Poppy takes my hand and squeezes it gently. "Everyone is going to be thrilled to see you, and I promise I won't leave your side."

"Promise?" I ask weakly.

"Promise. Unless a certain Slytherin brown-haired boy steals you from me," she giggles, and I groan again.

"Let's get this over with."

The chatter grows louder when we enter the great hall. Keeping my head down, the surrounding conversations turn quiet, and whispering follows suit. Poppy notices, and she grabs my hand, and pulls me toward the Hufflepuff table. Finding an empty spot, our backs are turned to the Gryffindor side, but that doesn't stop a certain someone from calling out to me.

"Is that the Savior of Hogwarts?!" Garreth asks in a rather excited tone.

"Merlin's beard..." I release a puff of air.

"Stay where you are, Garreth!" Poppy orders him, but this is Garreth fucking Weasley. He doesn't listen to anyone.

"Look at you!" He crashes into me, forcing me to topple backward into Poppy. Taking me in his arms, he spins me around in the air, beaming his signature smile when he places me back down. "Where did you go? I missed my best friend!" My lips scrunch in response.

"Since when were we best friends?" I ask, feeling completely clueless.

"Since our fifth year, silly!" Oh, I get it.

"You missed your Billywig Stings supplier," I nod with a knowing smirk. Garreth shakes his head back and forth. His red hair is just as long and messy as it was when I first met him.