Chapter Nineteen*

*Mature Content Warning*

*Reminder: The characters have been aged up.*

Amara

"Okay," I whisper. "I'll stay."

With a broad smile, Sebastian stands and walks toward his dresser.

"What are you doing?" I ask with a slight chuckle.

"You want to sleep in what you're wearing?" he responds without looking.

"Not particularly, but I can go change and come back."

"Not necessary." He offers me a pair of green and silver flannel pajama pants and a black cotton tee.

I accept the clothes and stand from the couch. "Just like the Undercroft," I remark while aiming for the bathroom.

Without a sly comment from the master of comebacks, I step into the washroom and close the door. I stare at the black tiles, admiring how they glisten even in the dark. Casting a spell to light the candles, I turn and meet my reflection in a mirror on the wall.

An average person would have jumped from fright, not me though, because I'm far from a normal witch. My gaze lingers over my features, and I smile to myself. The last time I truly looked in the mirror, my features were taunt. There were bags under my eyes, my complexion was pale, and I looked like a walking plague. Now my cheeks are filling out because I'm taking care of myself; while I still have bags under my eyes, they aren't as dark, but I look somewhat healthy.

Then I remember what I'm wearing, and my cheeks flush. This Hufflepuff looks rather savvy in green, if you ask me. Turning around, I peer over my shoulder, and a rush of butterflies awaken in my lower stomach. I used to toy with the idea. Any girl with a crush has done what I've done, but it's almost real, and the reality of my current predicament sets in.

Amara Sallow.

"Fuck," I mutter under my breath. "This can't be real."

Nerves run wild in my veins, and my chest begins to rise and fall rapidly. Sure, I've dreamed about this moment, but now that it's here, I don't know if I'm ready. Then again, nothing could happen. We're both sleep-deprived, and we find comfort in each other's company. Releasing a shaky breath, I take off the sweater and remove my bra. The last thing I want to do is sleep in that hellish contraption. I slide his shirt over my body, and a smile floats across my face as his scent whirls my senses.

"Focus, Amara," I mumble while shaking my head.

Stripping out of my pants, I put on the pajamas he offered me and tie the knot so they don't fall to my ankles. With one more glance in the mirror, I run my fingers through my wavy locks and give myself a short nod.

Here goes nothing.

When I step back into his room, the sight before me leaves me frozen in place. With only a few candles lit, Sebastian is already in bed with a book in his hands. His eyes dance along the words, and my body reacts before my brain can register where it's taking me.

"What are you reading?" I ask while my legs carry me toward him.

"The Legacy of Amara the Great," he teases while snapping the book shut.

"Ha-ha, very funny." I stand at the foot of his bed. The dark green blankets look soft to the touch, but I can't myself to discover it for myself. His eyes meet mine, and he visibly gulps before taking in a deep breath.