Chapter Seventeen

Sebastian

Amara and I ran the entire way to the Quidditch pitch. Each time I tried to catch her in my arms, she would dodge me, and her giggle would fill the atmosphere. Her cheeks are red, and she's panting for air when we come to a stop. She thinks she won whatever game we were playing, but she won't get away that easily.

I don't stop my momentum. Before she can react, I crash into her and swoop her into my arms, spinning us in a circle. Her chuckle is music to my ears; it makes my own smile widen, and the winged beasts in my stomach run rampant. Slowing down, I keep her secure against my chest because I don't trust this woman's balance. She may be powerful, but I can't tell you the number of times I've seen her trip over roots or twigs in the Forbidden Forest.

Her lips curve into a soft grin, melting my heart and leaving me speechless and breathless. This is all I ever wanted. I was an idiot to ignore my feelings during our fifth year. If only I followed her, if only I went to the repository with her. What would have happened if I did? Would we be here right now? Would my feeling still be this strong?

"Why are you looking at me like that?" she asks quietly.

"Like what?" I meet her volume while inching toward her lips.

"Like that," she mumbles before glancing down at my lips.

"Like this?" Our lips brush, and the feeling is enough to send me into a state of euphoria.

"We shouldn't," she mutters.

"I did warn you—" Before I can close the gap, a series of sharp whistles stops me.

"Trying to get us some good luck, Sebastian?"

"Trying to get some of that ancient magic on our side?"

My face contorts in response. I loosen my hold on Amara and take a step back.

"Sebastian," she warns as I spin around to put my team in their place.

"Say that again!" I shout.

How dare they. How dare they think that's all I could ever want from Amara. Don't they know that she is more than her power? She is the definition of magic itself. They should respect her as a person and for all that she's done.

"Seb, it's okay." She takes my hand, and my fury sizzles away.

The guys who interrupted us release a small chuckle and scurry inside before I can put them in their place. A crowd starts to form along the path, but that doesn't stop Amara from squeezing my hand and leaning against my arm.

"It's okay," her tone is sweet and warm. "You know I don't think that of you. The thought never crossed my mind."

My shoulders drop, and I release a huff of air as I nod. Red and gold start to crowd the path. I don't want to part from her yet. So, I tug on her hand and lead her toward another entrance into the pitch.

Floorboards creek over our heads while I lead her into a secret compartment near the Slytherin side. Flashes of green and silver appear around us, but I'm more comfortable here than I was outside. And her expression tells me that she feels the same.

"Are you ready?" she asks with an eager smile.

"More than ready. I love putting Gryffindors in their place. What about you? Are you ready to watch your first Quidditch game?"

"I am, but I have no idea how the game works. Poppy and Ominis will tell me."

"Ominis hates Quidditch. I'm not sure why he comes to every game."