10 | Ambush

Memories of the war and the dead bodies resurfaced in Luwen's minds. The screams and cries of mercy tore through her very soul. The thought of having to experience a bloodbath in this tavern gripped her with fear.

This time, she couldn't stand still and let innocent people die again.

However, the warning from the matriarch echoed in her ears. The woman knew that by eliminating the war hero, her most feared enemy, she could invade their territory with a guaranteed win.

"Stay out of the way, or you'll be killed."

Luwen flinched at the voice in her head.

"I'll take you to your parents," she said, taking the child's hand. "Come."

Before she could leave, Yerong stepped in to block their path, his smile fading into a look of concern. "My lady, I'm afraid you can't leave this room until he returns. The lord has ordered you to stay."

"What about the boy?" She frowned. "Will you take him back to his parents instead?"

Yerong pressed his lips in a firm line, clearly against the idea. "I've got my orders—I'm not allowed to leave your side."

"That's settled, isn't it?" Luwen said. "We shall both take him back to his parents and return to this room quickly. The lord will never notice us missing."

Or he will, she thought. He needs to be alerted about the matriarch's plan.

To avoid raising suspicion of herself, she knew she couldn't inform him with a direct approach. Hence, the question remained—how was she going to grab his attention?

Yerong let out a noise of uncertainty, running a hand across the back of his neck.

"Five minutes," he sighed. "We'll search for his parents and return to this room no less than that. I'm risking my neck for this."

She gave an appreciative smile. "That makes both of us."

Together, they hurried out of the room and descended the arch stairway leading to the first floor where the main stage was. Layers of purple fabric flowed from the center of the tavern's ceiling and downwards, before being secured at the edges of the hexagonal stage. It was like a flower blooming in season.

Luwen clasped the boy's hands and scoured through the throng of people lounging at every floor of the tavern. Thrice, she caught eyes staring at her from the upper floors. Men and women whom she didn't recognize.

She dropped to her knees, smiling at the child, and in a small whisper, she asked, "Who sent you?"

He stared back at her, eyes as large as an innocent deer. "No one."

But Luwen knew he was lying. For all she knew, he might not even have any parents. He could be an orphan who was committing deeds for bad people as long as he could earn a living to survive.

Just like Luwen when she was young.

She ruffled his hair playfully. "I think it's a genuine pity," she said. "You're a smart boy. With intelligence like yours, I think you've the ability to become someone accomplished in the future. Better than being a little messenger like this."

He peeked up at her, knowing that she had seen through his lie. "You really think so?"

"I do, so you should study hard instead of spending a lot of time with the bad people. It feels more rewarding to do good than foul deeds."

His face fell. "But no one has ever called me a good child before. The vendors down the street would always scold me and take a broom to chase me away."