29 | The Blind Priestess

Grateful for an excuse to leave the pavilion, Luwen wasted no time in quickening her pace and leaving the garden. Seconds later, Biyu slid up to her side, her voice full of concern.

"My lady, are you hurt?"

Luwen shook her head. "It's just a minor cut. I deliberately did it to leave."

Biyu grunted in response, somewhere between disbelief and awe. Pulling out a small, white cloth, she wrapped it around Luwen's wounded finger, grimacing at the fresh droplets of blood oozing out.

"That was reckless of you," she chastised, "but clever. I would have intervened myself and pulled out their hairs if you hadn't thought about it. I knew they weren't friendly, except for the youngest sister," she said. "She seems more amiable."

"I agree. She defended me earlier."

Unlike her sisters, Yue Siying was the only one who hadn't meant Luwen harm earlier. Yet, Luwen couldn't forget how she gazed at Dai Yichen in admiration during the banquet.

Her heart constricted painfully at the memory. A strange feeling stirred within her.

It couldn't be that she was jealous, was she?

The sudden image of another woman taking her place made her feel threatened and upset.

What would happen when she failed her mission to assassinate him? After her death, would Dai Yichen realize her betrayal and hate her? Would he forget her and marry someone else again?

A lump formed in her throat, and her steps steadily slowed. Biyu matched her walking pace, frowning in her direction. "What's wrong? Are you feeling unwell?"

Luwen swallowed hard, shaking away those intrusive thoughts of hers, and took a glance at their surroundings. They had been walking circles in this labyrinth for the past few minutes. "I'm fine, but I think we're lost. I can't find the building we're staying in. This estate is enormous."

Biyu frowned. "Strange, I swear the Third Princess's handmaid pointed me in this direction earlier." She squinted her eyes. "This building is a lot darker compared to the rest. Is there anyone living here?"

It was quieter too, lacking the usual bout of servants scattering down the hallways. When Luwen and Biyu approached the entrance of the building, they noticed a black plaque engraved with gold writing that read, 'The Great Illumination Temple'. Bells with ribbons hung along the eaves, ringing as the gentle wind blew around them. It was a way to dispel evil and welcome divinity into this small temple.

"It seems like the renowned High Priestess of the Yue clan lives here," Biyu whispered. "Have you heard of her?"

The High Priestess?

Startled, Luwen felt an extreme fear crawling across her skin.

In the past, she heard rumors about the High Priestess, a young woman in her thirties and a descendant of a famous line of priestesses. Because of her wisdom, strong intuition, and ability to see visions of distant events, the Yue clan invited her to work for them, offering security and protection from people with malicious intentions.

This was dangerous for Luwen. If she encountered someone with incredible spiritual insight, would she be able to sense that Luwen was a trespassing soul living in another person's body?

"We shouldn't disturb her then," Luwen said nervously. "Let's leave quickly."

She took Biyu's arm, turning them around to leave in the direction they came from, but a shadow stepped out from behind a wooden pillar and blocked their path. Stepping into the moonlight, a slender woman in a pristine white dress greeted them. Her eyes were covered with a white cloth and tied at the back of her head.