20 | Vengeance

Luwen sat by the window, basking in the moonlight. A couple of unwanted wood planks laid by her feet and she held a small knife in her hand, carving absentmindedly. The repeated motion was calming in her mind and allowed her to think clearly.

It was hours past midnight, and she still hadn't slept. She couldn't. After meeting Shao Wuying two nights ago, she felt a heavy, ominous feeling attached to her. Her wariness grew upon realizing that the person who had tried to harm her was still around.

Tonight, the air felt different. It was too quiet, except for an occasional breeze sweeping by and the rustle of leaves. However, the owls had stopped hooting, and the crickets ceased their chirping a while ago.

A shuffle of footsteps came from outside. Heading towards her room.

Luwen stopped sharpening the wooden dagger she had made for herself and sat still. Waiting. In the past, she had worked many jobs for the matriarch, and one included a sentinel, spending days and nights at the fortress keeping the demons and enemies away from the walls barricading the Xia clan. Her survival in this world hinged on her constant vigilance.

Her maid had already retired for the night, so there shouldn't be anyone roaming across the hallway outside her bedchamber.

A knock came, and Luwen slowly rose from her seat, taking up the two wooden daggers she had made with her bare hands. She couldn't request for weapons from the Dai clan, but she could make them herself. She always needed to be prepared in case something unexpected happened.

"Who's there?"

A small voice answered through the doors, sounding oddly familiar. "It's me, Lady Xia."

Luwen's brows rose in disbelief. It was Shao Wuying—her most unwelcome guest.

And this time, she was behaving civilly.

"Lady Shao," Luwen greeted, but she knew the woman didn't hold good intentions for visiting her at this untimely hour. "What brings you to my room this late during the night?"

Shao Wuying exhaled loudly. "I couldn't sleep. I needed to speak to you."

She sounded remorseful, which was a stark contrast to the unkind tone which she had used on Luwen previously. "I wish to apologize for my rude behavior and everything I've done to you in the past. I was caught up in my emotions in the heat of the moment. Yichen gave me an earful, and I realized I hadn't understood the hardship you went through to maintain this war truce between our clans, but now I know better."

Luwen carefully made her way to the door, still distrustful of Shao Wuying's words. She clutched her weapons tightly in her hands. "I much prefer we do this in the morning in the lord's presence himself, Lady Shao."

"I understand your caution against me," she said sadly. "But my mind can't be at rest until I've apologized to you in person. I've brought some sweet persimmons and chestnut cakes which I've made. If you're willing to accept them and my apology, I'll leave right away. I'm so sorry to disturb you this late."

The plea in Shao Wuying's voice was notably desperate, as if she sincerely wished to meet Luwen and make amendments.

However, Luwen wasn't as naïve as she thought. In the past, Shao Wuying had offered an invitation and baited her into a trap. It would be no different this time. There was something else she must have truly wanted, something which would benefit her and harm Luwen, and the first thing she would do was to...

To get me to open the doors for her.

Luwen finally grasped the situation–somehow, the lady wasn't able to push through her doors and barge into her room. She was forbidden to enter.