30 | A Change of Heart

Leaving the prayer hall, Luwen stumbled onto the veranda, shaken by the abrupt meeting with the High Priestess.

Biyu caught her arm, peering into her face with great concern. "What's wrong? What did the High Priestess say to you?"

Luwen inhaled sharply, recalling the words spoken by the priestess. Despite the sympathy the latter had shown towards her, there was a certain sharpness to her tone—like the edge of a knife pointed at her throat.

"If you wish for me to keep your secret from everyone, it shall depend on what you'll do next."

It was a warning. The High Priestess was still a protector of her own clan, and allowing Luwen—the imposter with a hidden agenda unbeknownst to others—to walk freely on their grounds was supposedly against the rules. However, she was willing to give her a chance.

This act of mercy was beyond Luwen's expectation, and she was grateful for it. She shared the same sentiments as the priestess; she didn't wish to deliver valuable information to the matriarch or bring harm to any of the clans.

Especially her lord.

In these few months, though short, he was rightfully her husband.

And she would do anything to protect the ones she called her family.

You fool. Luwen could imagine the matriarch's sneering voice in her head. You're willing to sacrifice your life for a man?

She blinked once, her determination coming to her naturally.

Of course. She was willing to be a fool if it meant ruining the matriarch's plans and wiping the joy off her face.

As soon as Luwen returned to the Dai residence, she was going to sketch the layout of the matriarch's palace, including the secret underground tunnels and how to deactivate the protection wards in place. She planned to mark the location of the secret experiment chamber on the map, where people would find her deepest secrets and precious treasures.

Next, Luwen would send a letter to her best friend back home, warning her of the worst to happen. Since she would fail her mission and lose her life, the least she could do was to plan an escape route for Qiqian and impart her knowledge to those still alive to carry out her revenge.

Divulging information to their enemies was an act of betrayal towards her clan, but she would do it. This way, she hoped she could strengthen her lord's chances of winning against the matriarch. Once they annulled the truce, the war between the two clans would definitely resume.

But Dai Yichen could do it.

He was the only one strong enough to kill the matriarch.

As soon as Luwen came to this decision, the ruckus in her mind quieted, her thoughts forming into lucid rivulets.

When she finally glanced up at a worried Biyu, the tension in her shoulders had eased and the tremors in her body stopped.

"I'm fine–"

However, Biyu's head snapped, hand reaching for her sword, eyes locked on the temple walls. "Who's there? Show yourself!"

There was a scurry of footsteps. From behind the temple's sidewall, a shadow swiftly fled down the twisted hallway to the manor's north wing. The glimpse of a pale-green garment and braids pinned around the crown of her head clearly resembled the handmaid belonging to one of the Yue princesses.

Luwen felt the blood draining from her face. Her composure shattered, the tremors returning.

Did this handmaid eavesdrop on her earlier conversation with the High Priestess?