23 | The Orphan Village

The carriage rocked and jostled over a rock-strewn path through a lush forest. Above the canopies, black ridges of massive mountains spanned the horizon.

Luwen stared down at her attire—just a plain brown blouse and trousers. She had tucked the hem of her trousers into black boots. The rest of the group wore similar outfits, including the lord. He pulled back his dark hair into a ponytail, revealing his sharp jawline and handsome features.

She sat with her knees tucked under, eyes wandering to the lord sitting next to her. "My lord, if we're dressed inconspicuously like this, where are we going? Why are we taking several wagons with us?" She squinted a little in his direction, attempting to unravel his intentions. "You're not planning to leave me here to fend for my own, aren't you?"

She spied a smile lurking on his lips. "We're delivering supplies to a small village in a valley," he answered. "Our men do this once a month."

"But why aren't we seated together with the rest of them back there?"

Dai Yichen avoided her gaze, appearing embarrassed to admit the truth. "I can't have you getting caught in the rain if it comes. It would be bad if you got another fever."

"I'm stronger than before, all because of the medicine you've gotten for me."

"I'm still not willing to take that risk."

A knowing smile worked its way to her lips. So much for being inconspicuous, she thought, but she wasn't complaining.

Her eyes remained on the lord, watching as he took in the breathtaking nature beyond the window. In her hands, she held onto the lantern she had specially handmade for him. Still unlit.

Take it with us, he had said before they left the manor.

Why would he bring her out this far, of all places? Did he not fear running into any enemies? Or was he simply confident in his powers?

The questions danced around in her mind, but Dai Yichen's voice soon reeled her back to reality. "In the past, my brother and I would ride our horses out to help dispatch supplies to this village full of widows and orphans. We hid our identities from the villagers living there and pretended to be workers. If they were aware of the lord's visit, they would get startled."

"And sometimes," he added, "it's fun to have a change of identity."

"I understand the feeling," Luwen agreed wholeheartedly. Sometimes, she wished she could live as someone else other than the matriarch's servant. "Then I suppose I can't call you 'my lord' when we arrive there?"

"You can call me Yichen." Dai Yichen arched his brow, curious and all ears. "I can't call you by your name either. What would you suggest?"

She stiffened immediately, her tongue tied and her heart pounding wildly. What should he call her? What did she want him to call her? There was just one answer in her mind.

Luwen. Her real name.

She wondered how her name would sound on his lips.

The thought itself was tempting, dangerous and extremely foolish. If she gave him her real name, she would give herself away in plain sight.

But the lord never knew or heard of her name. Or her existence. He wouldn't make the connection easily. He didn't know she was just another soul inhabiting this body.

Furthermore, she was already living her life precariously on the edge of the cliff. Sometimes she wondered when she might never wake up again, not in this body or her own. Her life was no longer hers anymore, but in the matriarch's hands. She could die, perhaps not today, but someday in the future.