Chapter 37

Beep. Beep. Beep.

Bucky groaned at the sound of the heart rate monitor as he stirred.

"White Wolf."

Bucky cracked an eye open. "Ayo...You came. And you didn't kill me in my sleep?"

"The queen would've had my head." Ayo stared blankly at Bucky. The doors hissed open behind her and Sam entered as she turned to leave.

"Buck. Good to see you, man. You are one lucky son of a bitch, you know that?"

Bucky shifted, slowly sitting himself up. "What happened?"

"What do you remember?"

"Sharon shot me. And then Ray..."

"She killed you, man. Sharon checked your pulse and everything. Ray must've started your heart again after Sharon stepped back but...you still nearly bled out."

"What about Ray? Is she-"

"She's here. Shuri and the doctors are doing their best but...the toxin took a while to trace. It's been touch and go. She seized at least three times after you collapsed, stopped breathing before Shuri- I don't know what made Shuri start making her way to DC when she did but it's a damn good thing you called her."

The doors hissed open and Shuri strode in. "There's my favorite broken white boy."

"Shuri."

"What were you thinking?!" She punched his shoulder.

"Ow! Wait...About which thing?"

"All of it."

"Zemo was a means to an end. I was always gonna bring him back."

"And the girl?"

"I love her."

"I just laid one brother to rest. I'm not prepared to lose another."

"I couldn't let her die."

"I understand, but I'm still angry."

Bucky nodded. "Fair enough. Thank you. For coming."

"I would not forgive myself if I did not do what I could. My brother would have answered the call without hesitation. I am choosing to be more like him."

"Thank you. I owe you. Can I see her?"

Shuri nodded. "I'll take you." Bucky eased himself off the bed, and Shuri talked to him as they walked. "She was far worse than I expected. I am hopeful but I cannot say what will happen. The Lieutenant has not left her side for anything since we arrived. You will be kind to him or I will sick Ayo on you."

Just then, alarms on Shuri's komoyo beads went off. She took one glance at Bucky and tore off down the hall.

"What's happening?" Bucky called, chasing after her.

Torres was holding Ray's hand, standing by the side of the bed when they entered. Ray was gasping for air, back arched in pain, eyes open but unseeing.

"Her fever has spiked again. The infection is getting worse." Shuri grasped the blanket and yanked it fully off of Ray, revealing her leg and Bucky winced at the sight. Around the gunshot wound, her skin was swollen and flaming red, streaks of color spreading out like tendrils up her veins and arteries. The gunshot wound itself was black around the edges.

"So what now?" Torres looked to Shuri, worry lacing his words.

"We can try to clean it out surgically again, maybe try a new medication but-" Suddenly, Ray seized. Shuri rolled her on her side, pressing a button on her bracelet to summon the medical professionals, rushing Ray out the door.