103

The Job of an Imperial Concubine
By the time Feng Jin had arrived at Xihe Palace, the sky was already dark. The imperial sedan stopped by the front doors. He disembarked and looked at the red lantern Gao Dezhong was holding. Asked Fu Bao, who was waiting at the entrance, "Is your master asleep?"

Bowing, Fu Bao replied, "Your Majesty, Her Highness said she napped too much during the noon, so isn't sleepy now. She is still awake."

How could Feng Jin be unaware that Zhuang Laoyan was merely waiting for him to arrive? Helplessly shaking his head, he said, "Nevermind. No need to announce Our arrival. We will enter directly."

Within, Yunxi hung an additional lantern. Ever since her master had become with child, all the gorgeous flowers inside Xihe Palace were removed. Incense and other things were all stored away. These days, her master only wore a sachet of mint on her body. A refreshing scent when taken in.

"Your Highness, every day your honored self always reads for less than an hour. Would His Majesty truly know?" After leading a few palace maids inside the room to inspect the surroundings, Yunxi made her way to Zhuang Laoyan's side. She removed the lampshade. Snipped off a bit of the candle's wick. She smiled as another palace maid brought the scissors far away, before taking hold of a copper basin a palace maid had presented to her. Yunxi dropped to a crouch. As she helped Zhuang Laoyan remove her slippers, she said, "It's this slave's first time hearing that such a thing is possible."

"This palace also does not know where this palace has heard this information from. But after the fetus is two to three months in development, if the mother reads books to it for a little less than an hour a day, and the fetus listens to music and hears its father tell it stories for about an hour each too, it will be very intelligent after birth," said Zhuang Laoyan, recalling in an absent-minded manner the prenatal education her friend from her previous life had mentioned.

She also heard that friend say this: Many women who weren't yet prepared to be mothers remained uninterested in things like prenatal education. People who were still happily single would not inexplicably think about having brats. Women were mysterious creatures. Before they had children, they might not feel much toward them. But once they had children, women would find any child adorable and lovable, and their own would be the greatest treasure.

After listening to this view, Zhuang Laoyan had immediately snorted in a disdainful manner. But now, she approved of it. Closing the book, Zhuang Laoyan shifted her gaze to her abdomen. Sank her feet into the basin of warm water. She felt slight regret toward not properly studying prenatal education back then.

"Since Your Highness has worked so hard, His Highness will definitely be intelligent." Soft in her actions, Yunxi massaged the arches of Zhuang Laoyan's feet. She was moved emotionally. Her Highness used to bathe every day. But now, because of the fetus, she only does so every two to three days. Her change in routine was due to the words of the imperial physician. That pregnant women should not bathe daily for it harmed the fetus. "Two days ago, His Majesty bestowed two musicians to Xihe Palace. This slave has heard that one is skilled in the guqin and the other skilled in the flute. Since listening to music is good for His Highness, how about we summon the musicians here tomorrow to perform?"

"Then should We come here often to tell Our child some stories?" said someone with a low, male voice. Zhuang Laoyan raised her head. And she caught sight of Feng Jin entering the room in large strides. When she stood to salute him, he reached her in a few steps, helping her back onto a round stool.

"You're soaking your feet, so why are you moving around?" Feng Jin softly held Zhuang Laoyan's shoulders. Took Yunxi's place in wiping dry her feet. Then he picked her up all of a sudden and carried her to the bed. After Feng Jin tucked her in, he said, "You are pregnant right now. You don't have to abide by those convoluted and overelaborate protocols in private."