109

The first rain of the year finally fell. Noble Consort Shu traveled on the green stone path with an umbrella, ignoring court eunuchs and palace maids, as well as those imperial concubines who clearly thought themselves magnanimous yet saluted her with much unwillingness. Step by step, she made her way toward the distant procession of the emperor.

There was no longer an endless stream of palace maids and court eunuchs following behind her. There was only Lingsha, who had served her ever since she had entered the imperial palace. Noble Consort Shu had traversed this path countless times. Back then, she had been the emperor's most favored woman, always accompanying him as they went anywhere. And behind them would stand a crowd of jealous women staring at them.

The rain grew ever more heavy. Noble Consort Shu raised her head. She noticed that the decorative picture on her umbrella, that of a beauty playing with butterflies, had grown duller in color. All of a sudden, she asked, "Lingsha, when did the emperor bestow this umbrella?"

"Your Highness has forgotten? His Majesty personally handed you this umbrella two years ago, when you were leaving Qianzheng Palace." Lingsha watched as the emperor's procession grew closer and closer. She said in a low voice, "Afterward, you could not find it in yourself to use it, and have stored it away until now."

The corners of Noble Consort Shu's lips tilted upward. She lifted her leg to slip between two rock gardens. Here, the emperor must pass through.

When Gao Dezhong noticed her standing there, there was no way to avoid her. He had no choice at the moment but to halt the procession. Then he said to Feng Jin, who sat within the imperial sedan, "Your Majesty, Noble Consort Shu is asking for an audience."

Feng Jin lightly pulled open the yellow curtain blocking his sight of the outside. His expressionless face came into view. He looked at the woman in green standing within the curtain of rain, not a word escaping his lips.

The hand Noble Consort Shu used to grasp her umbrella trembled. With care, she placed the umbrella down on the side, allowing the rain to soak her delicate countenance. She lifted her head and gazed at that aloof man, slowly dropping to a kneel.

The entire path was silent. No one uttered a sound or moved. Expressionless, the servants looked at the woman who used to be the most favored in the harem as if she were someone unimportant.

"It's pouring. Return to your residence." The tips of Feng Jin's brows twitched. He sighed. "Our decree has already been sent. It will not be changed."

"Does Your Majesty remember what you said to me in the past? That you would always treat me the same?" Noble Consort Shu raised her chin. Smiled at Feng Jin. "Are Your Majesty's words promises that can be kept?"

Silent, Feng Jin looked at her. A good while later, he said, "We have always treated you the same."

Hearing these words, Noble Consort Shu smiled with tears flowing down her cheeks. She covered her eyes with her hand and rose. For the first time, she looked at Feng Jin as equals. "'Though she is still young of age, she is favored no longer.' Your Majesty indeed has not changed. It is this concubine who asked for too much, and has grown unhappy due to not receiving what this concubine wants." At that moment, she shouted, "Your Majesty! It's this concubine's fault!"

Her shout frightened Gao Dezhong. He rushed to look up and toward Noble Consort Shu. And he caught sight of a flash of green, before a bang rang out. After that, everything was once again deathly still.

Scarlet blood flowed across the green stone tiles along with the rain, turning into a light red stream, winding toward the imperial sedan.

In a flash, Gao Dezhong widened his eyes. He whipped around to look at the emperor. Yet, all he saw were his calm eyes that resembled two pools of ink.