104

The harem was never tranquil. However, in recent times, the harem had sure enough fallen into a strange pit of tranquility. Perhaps it was because those noble masters need not meet everyday at Jingyang Palace, causing their resentment to decrease. Thus, the filthy things in the rear palace dropped in number.

Nowadays, there were many women in the imperial harem; that said, there were few imperial concubines of high rank. Those of lower ranks dared not act or speak out of place. Those of higher ranks possessed complicated thoughts, growing even more cautious with their conduct. Everyone saw Consort Zhao's fetus grow larger and larger with their own eyes, saw the emperor fond of visiting Xihe Palace. Unexpectedly, each of the imperial concubines sat steadier than the last.

There had recently been many new arrivals to Xihe Palace who stayed in the side palace hall: eunuchs skilled in cooking, older female servants knowledgeable in gynecology, and even two female doctors. And these people all rushed about to take care of Xihe Palace's sole master. Envy filled the hearts of those in the harem who saw this.

"There's too much of a discrepancy between the treatment Consort Zhao and other imperial concubines receive while pregnant," said Noble Imperial Concubine Yan, who had already lost the emperor's favor, while she watched from far away as court eunuchs of the Department of the Palace traveled toward Xihe Palace's direction. Somewhat envious and indulging in Schadenfreude, she added, "However, when I compare Noble Consort Shu, who's always so aloof and thinks everyone is beneath her, to Consort Zhao, the former really isn't worth much."

After Noble Imperial Concubine Yan had lost favor, the person she hated the most wasn't Consort Zhao. Rather, it was Noble Consort Shu, who always concealed her talents. Some people subconsciously disliked others who had the same talent as them. As it turned out, this was the case between Noble Imperial Concubine Yan and Noble Consort Shu. They typically had no contact with one another, but they shared a mutual dislike in their hearts.

When Consort Rou, who was in front of Noble Imperial Concubine Yan, had heard these words, an insincere smile spread across her face as she looked at her. "In the end, Noble Consort Shu is still a noble consort. She is worth more than you and then some."

"Indeed, Your Highness Consort Rou is as impolite as ever." Noble Imperial Concubine Yan's features proved unsightly. "But this concubine is not Wanyi Qian, allowing you to embarrass me as you please."

"The way you speak, it's as if I like to bully others on a regular basis." Consort Rou cast a glance at her, one without a deep meaning. "Enough. If you like to make sarcastic remarks about other people, then do it. This palace does not have time to listen to you spout nonsense here." Following that, she led her palace maids away, swaying her hips three times with every step, a lotus sprouting upon each step.

"What is she going on about? Acting like she never talked sarcastically about Zhuang Laoyan before." Noble Imperial Concubine Yan snorted. She turned her body around and left with her palace maids.

Lately, Zhuang Laoyan moved about more often than she had in the previous few months. The fetus was now five months old, and the subsequent swelling of her belly made her appear plump. Although Zhuang Laoyan was not as beautiful and alluring as she had been in the past, she was more gentle. Leaning against a soft couch and listening to a musician play the guqin, she could not help but to look out the window. To look at the color of the sky. It might snow in the coming days.

Her fetus was growing ever larger. When it had been more than three months in development, she already felt it moving. An experienced older female servant informed her that a fetus who moved so early was definitely a prince. But Zhuang Laoyan was not at all interested in such words. Whether it was a prince or a princess, it was still her, Zhuang Laoyan's, child. It's just that this world was more partial to men.