107

After the sixth day of the first month, the officials of the court started to impeach the Su family without restraint. To the point where some people even mentioned the Su family's servants snatching vegetables from shops without paying. After this news broke out, the Su family's crimes increased by one: allowing their servants to commit wrongdoings and not disciplining them enough.

This was the so-called "hitting a man when he was down" brought to life. Not to mention, there were people who wanted to curry favor with the Zhuang family. The Su family seemed reprehensible in the eyes of others during this period, wicked beyond redemption. These days, in order to avoid arousing suspicion, the officials of the court belonging to the Zhuang family avoided this topic of conversation, just stating that the emperor would know how to proceed. The Zhuang family ultimately shut their estate doors and declined any visitors.

Within the palace, Zhuang Laoyan also caught a whiff of this news. When she recalled that Noble Consort Shu, the most favored imperial concubine in the past, had even be the target of ridicule by someone like Noble Imperial Concubine Yan, Zhuang Laoyan could not help but believe these two sayings: that "fate was fickle" and that "the emperor was heartless." Things were unfair for women of this age. They were bound to one man their whole lives, yet a man could have countless women to toy with.

Some aloof men had this to say about those of the fairer sex: Virtuous women were old-fashioned and boring; courtesans were not chaste enough; beauties lacked intelligence; ugly women dirtied their eyes; wealthy women were too headstrong; poor women were petty; scholarly women were argumentative; crude women lacked manners. These men all wished that women would wholeheartedly love them, while they remained standing at that high place, nitpicking.

This type of man was the most sickening. They were too picky about women, even though there might not be even a single woman who liked them.

Expressionless as she pushed away the bowl in front of her, Zhuang Laoyan listened to Fu Bao's report. Then she said in a low voice, "Send out this order: If any of our people comment on the masters, then punish them severely."

Noticing the poor expression on his master's face, Fu Bao thought she felt worried about her own circumstances. He rushed to sound his agreement. Glanced at the bowl of fish soup that had barely been touched. He signaled to Yunxi with his eyes.

Yunxi shook her head faintly at him. Approached the table to clear away the bowl of fish soup, handing it to a little palace maid by her side. Then she hinted to the other irrelevant servants to withdraw. Concerned, she said, "Your Highness has recently been in low spirits. What is wrong?"

A sigh left Zhuang Laoyan's lips. "If Noble Consort Shu meets disaster this time, who would be the most happy?"

Yunxi furrowed her brows a hint. "It would be... Noble Consort Xian?"

"Yes. She would gain the most benefits." Zhuang Laoyan picked up a dried plum and placed it into her mouth. "The empress is childless. As long as she sits in her position steadily, she doesn't care who is favored. But Noble Consort Xian is a different story. Although the emperor does not favor her, she is raising the eldest prince. Once Noble Consort Shu topples over, she would become the second most noble woman in the harem."

Once she heard these words, Yunxi shifted her gaze to Zhuang Laoyan. With a dark expression, she said, "If she wants to make a move on Your Highness in the future..." She clenched her teeth. "Your Highness, please forgive this slave for daring to say the following: How about striking first and gaining the upper hand?"

Zhuang Laoyan fell silent for a good while. All of a sudden, she laughed. "Let's not be too hasty. The emperor is a wise ruler. He has well-defined likes and dislikes. Even if the people of the Su family commit crimes, he views it as having nothing to do with Noble Consort Shu." At this moment, what she needed to do was to wait. Not to do pointless things.