113

Withered leaves danced within the ice-cold wind of the night. Accompanying them were the mournful cries of a woman.

A court eunuch watched the no-longer-beautiful Wanyi Qian, an insincere smile on his face. "Wanyi Qian, please be on your way."

In a stiff manner, she looked at that snow-white piece of silk, shaking her head again and again as she recoiled from it. She didn't want to die, was afraid of dying. Wanted to live, live in a lofty and noble fashion!

But the court eunuchs would not tolerate her struggling. They approached her in large strides and wound the white silk around her neck. In a normal tone, one of them said, "When you reincarnate into your next life, don't commit wicked deeds again. Farewell."

Fifteen minutes later, the eunuch that was the leader of the group saw the other eunuchs exit the room. And he knew that the matter had already been settled. He waved, indicating for the Daoist priest behind him to go in. "Don't forget to cleanse the area splendidly."

The Daoist priest nodded. He swung the horsetail whisk in his hand, entering the room without a word.

"Once the cleansing is finished, drag the corpse out. His Majesty has sent out a decree: This person will be buried in the rites of a gengyi. We don't need to trouble ourselves."

A ninth-rank gengyi. Although a person of that position might appear to have some standing at first glance, in reality, such a person could not even compare to a palace maid with some status. This Wanyi Qian could be considered to have lost her head. In the entire harem, who wasn't aware that the emperor placed much importance on Consort Zhao? Yet, she just had to scheme against said woman. She didn't have many connections and wasn't smart either, yet threw away her life like that. It really didn't deserve any pity.

One hour later, court eunuchs carried Wanyi Qian outside the room. The leading eunuch wiped his hands. Said to the little eunuch behind him, "Let's go. I still have to report to Gao-gonggong."

Qianzheng Palace was brightly lit. After Feng Jin heard Gao Dezhong's report, he said flatly, "Since the matter has already been settled, there's no need in mentioning it anymore. Have people watch over Xihe Palace properly. We want Consort Zhao and Our child to be well."

Gao Dezhong accepted the order and withdrew. Once he stepped foot outside the main hall, a wave of relief washed over him. He had a sinking suspicion that he had heard something he shouldn't have.

Wanyi Qian's death caused the imperial concubines to grow much more well-behaved. When Zhuang Laoayan was eight months pregnant, the weather had gradually warmed. She could not eat things that were too cold, and could only have people place basins of ice at the corners of the rooms. Not to mention, have palace maids incessantly fan her to alleviate her irritation from the heat.

Imperial physicians would come to examine her pulse three times a day. Her unborn child was doing extremely well; Zhuang Laoyan did not worry. However, the fetus would kick too hard, sometimes causing her pain. It was very inconvenient for her to sleep during the night, especially when it was hot. She would find it hard to breathe, and as a result, her temper grew worse and worse.

It was rare for it to rain. The next day, the weather grew much cooler and more refreshing. Using the hand of Yunxi as support, Zhuang Laoyan took a stroll in the imperial gardens. In the end, she caught sight of Noble Imperial Concubine Yan and Xiuyi Su quarreling in a pavilion, and she herself was even mentioned.

Because Zhuang Laoyan's temper was poor these days, she sneered. "You two are in a good mood. Since you have opinions about this palace, why not say it in front of this palace?"

Never had the two of them expected the eight-month-pregnant Zhuang Laoyan to appear here. At once, their complexions changed and they dropped to a kneel with a bang. They knew that even the empress had to give Zhuang Laoyan some face now, much less the two of them, who had already lost the emperor's favor.