106

In no time at all, news that the emperor had specially bestowed gifts to Consort Zhao's paternal family spread through the entire rear palace. Envy filled the imperial concubines' hearts, yet who told Consort Zhao to fall pregnant? Not to mention, she also knew how to retain the emperor's heart. The emperor willingly pampered her like so. So they could only watch on in envy.

Come New Year's Eve, the emperor bestowed the Zhuang family a calligraphy scroll with the character for fortune. And also, dishes of food with auspicious names. However, the women of the imperial harem found such actions strange. That said, the servants treated the people of Xihe Palace with even more respect.

On New Year's Day, the imperial concubines must pay respects to the three highest-ranked people of the harem. Because Zhuang Laoyan was growing heavier in pregnancy, she was relieved of too much movement. To the point where she did not even have to kowtow, merely needing to make an appearance as the party drew to a close.

Previously, every influential family and official thought they understood the problems the emperor faced. After all, the emperor had few sons. Now, the pregnant Consort Zhao already possessed his favor. Furthermore, her background was decent. Because she was with child, she would be even more careful, and if the child is a prince, then the Zhuang clan would flourish in the future.

Zhuang Laoyan held a bowl of walnut and peanut milk, taking slow slips of it. After a good while, she had only finished half the bowl. She looked outside the window at the snow that grew ever more heavy. Not wanting to finish it, she put the bowl down. "Take this away."

Yunxi, who stood at the side, hurried to pick up the bowl and hand it over to a little palace maid. Then she carefully adjusted the cushion behind Zhuang Laoyan. "Your Highness, do you feel uncomfortable anywhere?"

"I'm fine." Zhuang Laoyan supported her waist as she slowly rose to a stand. The larger her fetus grew, the more pain she felt. During the night, the movement of the fetus caused her to suffer from poor sleep. During the day, she could not sit or lie down for long. Although her four limbs were not swollen, her feet would occasionally cramp up, practically painful enough to cause tears.

Recently, the kitchens cooked a lot of soup that used bones as a base. And she drank so much of them that whenever she thought of soups, she felt like vomiting. It was the third day of the new year today, yet what she felt wasn't the joy of the new year, but an unspeakable restlessness and irritability.

Yunxi was aware that women would easily anger once pregnant, and so supported Zhuang Laoyan with care as she said, "Your Highness, this slave has heard that new circus performers have arrived at the palace. How about we summon them to the side palace hall to perform for your honored self?"

"Alright." Zhuang Laoyan nodded. Suppressing the restlessness and irritability in her heart, she allowed Yunxi to arrange for the performance.

Shortly after, the circus performers arrived. They were all intelligent; knowing that Consort Zhao was pregnant, they all wore strange outfits and did not perform anything thrilling. Instead, they performed an interesting comedy from the civilian realm.

Not long after the performance started, they saw Consort Zhao burst out laughing. Thus, the performers became even more energetic. The Music Bureau raised numerous singers, dancers, and all sorts of performers. To be able to perform in front of a master was the greatest fortune. As circus performers, they originally were looked down on regarding their trade. Now that they received Her Highness Consort Zhao's attention, weren't they so proud and elated?

The circus performers that came from the civilian realm were more flexible and lively than the performers raised in the Music Bureau. After Zhuang Laoyan finished watching the performance, her mood improved by an immense degree. She said to the leader of the troupe, "You people have performed quite splendidly. When you leave, think up more interesting stories. This palace will summon you again next time."