108

"Your Highness, Her Highness Noble Consort Shu has arrived," said Tingzhu, rushing into the room. Noticing that Zhuang Laoyan was in the middle of reading, she continued in a softer voice, "At this moment, Noble Consort Shu is sitting in the main hall. This slave informed her that your honored self is still napping, but she is unwilling to leave."

Yunxi furrowed her brows. Shifted her gaze to Zhuang Laoyan, worried. "Your Highness, could Noble Consort Shu be here because of her family's matters?" Her Highness and Noble Consort Shu have never been friendly toward one another.

Zhuang Laoyan set down her book. Arched a brow. "Other than this reason, what else could it be? She has never stepped foot into my Xihe Palace before. Let's go and see her."

"Shall this slave help you dress and groom?" asked Yunxi, after noticing how simple Zhuang Laoyan's outfit was; she only had on two white-jade hairpins. Yunxi could not help but add, "It's a mystery what Noble Consort Shu wants to do."

"No need." Zhuang Laoyan touched her temples. Accepted the handheld brazier Tingzhu had proffered. "This is fine."

Within the main palace hall of Xihe Palace, Noble Consort Shu sat in an arabesque chair looking at the all sorts of decorations and furnishings around. Her complexion was pallid, face thin. She was not in the mood to drink the tea the palace maids had presented her, merely leaning against the back of her chair and gazing at the doorway. She had come to Xihe Palace after exhausting all her other options; indeed this was her last hope.

The emperor refused to meet with her. Even the empress put on an appearance that read "the harem must not interfere with politics." The only other person in the imperial harem who could meet with the emperor was Zhuang Laoyan. A bitter laugh escaped Noble Consort Shu's lips. Never had she imagined a day when she would fall to this state. The most favored woman of the harem, Noble Consort Shu, actually needed to politely ask a consort a favor. By tomorrow, this joke would spread through the entire rear palace.

But what could she do? If something bad truly happened to her father and elder brother, what could her mother and younger brother do? The relatives that had originally relied on her father were itching to separate their families from hers. There was no way they'd be willing to come out and plead for leniency for her father and elder brother. Even Su Wenqian, that stupid woman, did not want to get too close to her right now.

At this point, she could see clearer than during any other time. Since long ago, she knew that the emperor was heartless. But she never expected him to be heartless to this degree. She had served him for many years. Even if she did not make any meritorious contributions, she had at least worked hard. Yet, the emperor had not considered her at all when trying her father and elder brother.

After a long time had passed without Zhuang Laoyan in sight, Noble Consort Shu shifted her gaze to the palace maid serving tea at her side. "Is your master still resting?"

It wasn't yet time for the noon meal, but two hours had passed since breakfast. Perhaps it was a lie that Zhuang Laoyan was napping, and she merely did not want to meet with her.

"May Your Highness, Noble Consort Shu, please forgive me. This slave does not know," replied the palace maid in a soft voice, saluting her.

Noble Consort Shu laughed coldly. She picked up the warm cup of tea. Looked at the cyan picture of a grapevine on it. All of a sudden, she recalled the child in Zhuang Laoyan's womb. If she had a child right now, perhaps she would not have fallen into such a sorry state.

"Her Highness Consort Zhao has arrived!"

A bit surprised, Noble Consort Shu turned her head to the entrance. And she caught sight of Zhuang Laoyan coming in with the support of a palace maid. She wore a loose dress with wide sleeves, dressed up in a way even plainer than a cairen would. It was evident that she had yet to change clothes.