115

Everyone in the imperial harem knew the empress had fallen ill. Many were waiting for her to be deposed. It was to the point that even the court started to present memorials advocating for the empress' deposing. For a while, both the court and the rear palace were overrun by chaos.

Sitting on his throne, Feng Jin watched the civil and military officials below, who were arguing because of the women of his harem, with a cold eye. Once those people were almost finished, he said, "You ministers truly hold such interest in Our harem, so cautious over it. How about letting you all decide on the matters of the state?"

Everyone could tell something amiss about the emperor's words. They were so afraid that they dared not speak anymore, the intention to send their own people into the palace diminishing.

"We ministers do not dare. However, the empress lacks a prince, and her father and elder brother are villains. She truly is unsuitable as the Mother of the World," said an imperial censor. "The Mother of the World is the model for all women in China. The empress' morality and conduct are lacking. This official believes she should be deposed."

Feng Jin cast a glance at that imperial censor. He seemed to have some relation to Noble Consort Xian's paternal family. A smile graced Feng Jin's lips. "We are more clear than you on whether the empress' morality and conduct are lacking. Since having no sons is cause for being deposed, We remember that your younger sister has been married for eighteen years without giving birth to a son. Her husband's family should cast her away."

Never had this imperial censor imagined that the emperor would be aware of the personal matters of his family. His expression changed. He did not speak again, too afraid.

"Simply outrageous!" Feng Jin rose to his feet, throwing his sleeve in fury. "You are all pillars of the court. Who would have thought that you are only concerned about the harem's matters? We are truly pained by your actions!" Following that, he left the main hall in a rage, leaving behind a crowd of high-ranking ministers who looked to each other in dismay.

The idea of deposing the empress dissipated in such a silent way. Every imperial concubine gradually understood that the empress would not be removed. Noble Consort Xian, who had made a few small actions recently, felt embarrassed. Sometimes, when she stepped foot outside her residence, she would faintly hear people mocking her. But when she turned around, she only saw their respectful appearances. Bit by bit, she no longer liked going outside.

Without the eldest prince by her side or the emperor's favor, Noble Consort Xian knew that once the empress' situation improved, the empress would definitely hold grudges against what she had done recently. The empress had a gentle temperament, but she was absolutely not a woman who returned evil with good.

Fidgety and restless as she fanned herself, Noble Consort Xian picked up a teacup of Chinese herbal tea to her side. Took a sip. Then she blurted to the palace maid who had rushed into the room, "What did you hear? How is the empress' condition?"

With a poor expression, the little palace maid knelt before her. Not a word left her lips.

"Noble Consort Xian indeed cares about this palace's health." At that moment, the empress brought a throng of palace maids and court eunuchs into the room, a sliver of an unspeakable smile on her lips. "Now that Noble Consort Xian sees that this palace is doing well, are you very disappointed?"

Dry laughter spilling from her lips, Noble Consort Xian performed a salute. "This concubine pays respects to Your Majesty the empress."

"If the people of the palace all know their place, then this palace will be at ease." The empress laughed coldly toward her. Sat down in the seat of honor. Taking her time, she fanned herself with her fan, an image of a beautiful woman on it. The slightly ill look on her features did not hold one bit of haggardness. "Noble Consort Xian, do you agree?"