Chapter 17: Sunscreen

I start every day the same

I wake up, look at my bruises, get dressed, check on mama, and leave.

And so, that's what i do.

I get up and look at the array of coloured bruises and welts on my back.

I brush my teeth and wash my face before choosing my outfit for the day.

my outfit ^^

my outfit ^^

I put on some mascara along with lipgloss and tie my hair into a half up half down, my wavy curls everywhere. I don't wear blush because my cheeks are sunburnt so they are already red.

I take a deep breathe and smile at myself in the mirror.

I hope Parker thinks i look nice.

I go across the hall and see mama. The nurse is already here caring for her.

She looks at me sadly as my mum is still sleeping.

"Penelope, come here sweetie." The nurse, Gabby, opens her arms to me.

I walk over and give her a hug.

"I think it's time your mum goes back to hospital." She says.

I look at her and back out her arms, "B-but she's doing fine here."

"She needs more care, honey."

I nod and ignore the tears brimming my eyes.

"I'll talk to your father and let you know."

"Okay." I fake a smile before kissing Mama's forehead and going downstairs and quickly getting on my bike and riding away before dad catches me.

I've learnt the quickest way to get to Parker's so it takes 8 minutes maximum. I miss him so much.

I miss his cuddles. I miss his kisses.

I smile and jump off my bike excited to see him.

"Someone's excited." Gavin chuckles.