Chapter 27: Dress up

I stare at myself in the mirror trying to like the reflection

I stare at myself in the mirror trying to like the reflection. But i can't.

How am i meant to feel nice when i'm dressed up for a funeral. My mums funeral.

"You nearly ready?" Parker comes up behind me in the bathroom.

My eyes fill with tears.

I'm about to go to my mums funeral.

I look at Parker through the mirror and he brushes his hand through my hair soothing it.

I turn around and cover my face with my hands as i begin to cry.

Parker pulls my close, kisses my forehead, "Oh sweetheart."

"I can't go." I cry.

"I'll be here with you the whole time."

I always knew this day would come. But i never thought about the pain i would feel.

I sob against his chest, "It hurts so bad."

"God, baby. I know it does, i know." He brushes my hair.

I stay in his arms and i wish i could be here forever but we have to go. I need to say goodbye.

I pull away and Parker cups my face in his hands, wiping my cheeks with his thumbs.

I admire his suit.

"You look handsome." I whisper straightening his tie.

He kisses me gently and grabs my hand as we walk out his room and leave the apartment.

"It's always so weird dressing up for funerals, isn't it?" I ask on the way.

"It is."

"It's stupid i have to look nice for a funeral."

He just nods along with my rambling.

It's not a long drive or maybe it is. I can't really tell.

I startle as my car door opens and i see Parker, "We're here." He says gently. I didn't even notice he got out the car.

I can't even respond as he leans over and unbuckles my belt, helping me down from the car.

He closes the door and before we walk he cups my face in his hands, tilting my head up.

"I'm right here, okay? I'm not leaving. I'm not going anywhere. You lean on me, i've got you."

"Thank you." I sniffle.

He kisses my forehead and wraps his hand around my waist as we walk over.

I can already feel people looking at me. I can feel their eyes.

I lace my fingers with Parker's that's on my hip and hold it tightly.

We walk inside the church and it's packed. My mum really made a lot of friends in her life.