62.

Martina's P.O.V.

"Your mum let you have a Saint Laurent dress for prom?"- Marison asked while leaning on the lockers next to me, watching me take a couple of textbooks for the classes. 

"Sì."- I confirmed with a content smile and she groaned, making me giggle. 

"Your mum is the coolest! Why cannot mine let me wear something luxurious too, come on!? Where is the justice in this world?"- my best friend whined and held my shoulds to shake me as I laughed. 

"You did buy luxurious heels and makeup products for prom."- I pointed out and she grinned wickedly, looking anything but sorry for what she did. 

"Papà gave me his card and I used it."- she shrugged innocently and we giggled as I closed my locker. 

"Where is your lover boy? I haven't seen him anywhere yet."- Marison asked while we walked to the classroom. 

"He is on the basketball practice. They have competitions coming up, so they are training twice a day now."- I replied with a smile, the proudest of his achievements, and she nodded in understatement. 

We talked on our way to the classroom and once we arrived, she sat down next to her boyfriend and I sat in my usual spot, a seat next to me remaining empty since Nic wouldn't be present during this lesson. 

I pulled out my notepad, textbook and pencil case just when our teacher walked in, closing the door on his way. 

Signor Maglietto greeted us and began handing out the printouts while explaining our upcoming topic. The headmaster is present at the class today to check on the educational methods, the activity in the class and the interactions between the students and teachers. 

"Spero che tutti voi abbiate conosciuto la biografia di Dante e siate pronti a discutere della sua vita e delle sue opere."- he said and gave me the printout filled with questions, tasks, notes and Dante's quotes. (I hope all of you got acquainted with Dante's biography and are ready to discuss his life and works.) 

As he began making an intro about Dante, the door burst wide open and Giovanni waltzed in, flashing his toothy grin at the teacher. 

"Mi dispiace, signor Maglietto. Non succederà più."- the star casanova of the school told the teacher while winking at some girls at the back. (Sorry, Mr Maglietto. It won't happen again.) 

"Basta sedersi e prendere una stampa mentre si va."- Signor Maglietto dismissed and Giovanni nodded, quick to follow the command. (Just sit down and grab a printout on your way)

I continued listening to the teacher and making notes, but this quiet, peaceful process did not last for too long. 

"E perché la ragazza più bella della scuola è seduta da sola? Dov'è il suo mastino, signorina Russo?"- Giovanni asked as soon as he occupied the empty seat - the only empty seat - next to me, his thigh pressing against mine, forcing me to move my chair far away from him. (And why is the most beautiful girl in the school sitting alone? Where is your hound, Miss Russo?) 

"You aren't so jumpy when Nicolas touches you. In fact, I am rather certain you seek his touch whenever he is near."- he pressed and put his hand on the edge of my chair as I sat even further away, nearly vacating the seat. 

"Oh, come on, Martina, don't play hard to get. You let Nicolas touch you all the time, I bet he has already seen what's under this skirt too."- Giovanni stated with a dark chuckle and put his hand on my thigh, squeezing it hard enough to leave a mark. 

Tears filled my eyes. Memories began flooding in. 

But this time another instinct kicked in - one that papà has been helping me to hone and nurture.