10. Charlie

Atop Mika was I. Sailing towards Kalheim. The silence before the storm is often more frightening than the storm itself. I remembered an old song by the Bluebird of Piraha:

I seek in this desolate lands,

Some refuge for these empty hands,

That bear no weapons against any man,

Only wishes of fortune for your clan.

When I first joined this war, we were told that we were the good guys, fighting against evil. It took me a few months to realise that we had as much blood on our hands as the Achmans did. I couldn't help but think about how many innocent lives were lost on our end in the name of collateral damage. The military mentality was to never dwell on such factors. My own Guru would scoff at my melodramatic thoughts.

A warrior must never lose focus on anything else. His primary job is only to fight and win battles. A true warrior is as still as a Tiger right before it takes its leap to hunt. As quiet as snow. As focused as an eagle. Will you be a true warrior boy?

What would he know about the mental toll it takes to fight battles? I wondered. Whilst some of us were tough enough to handle the adversities that came our way, most of us were what Dhara mentioned earlier. 

Nobodies.

From my vantage point, I could see Eight Ships below us. I could see Dhara walking about in her Vessel, Mason by her side instructing the crew to lower the sails. On the vessel to their left, I could see Jules, yelling sonorously enough to reach even my ears, although it sounded garbled from where I flew. I snicked gently at the thought of Leslie's disapproval of the noise.

Leslie was at the stern of Jules' ship along with Adrian. She seemed to be lying down seemingly unbothered by what was to come. Adrian like most others, stood still taking in the light of the sun - something I had observed many soldiers do before battles in case this was their last.

At my level were the Four Wentallions. Two to my left, then Mika and Egon riding his Wentallion, Miermaxton. Miermaxton was one of the largest dragons in our unit second only to Mika.

Behind me were the six Sky Drakes and behind them were the two Cenurian Raptors. 

The winds were cold but consistent. My face felt moist and I could smell the saltiness from the sea winds. I kept my hands firmly on the reins and my feet were strapped tightly onto the saddle. If I were to be killed in battle, my body would still hang over Mika unless someone retrieved it.

A frightening thought to have.

To my left, I felt the windspeed change, only to see a tiny Sky Drake fly within my periphery. It was Tayan, the dragon I had earlier lent to Ursula to spy with. His current occupant Christina, was about Twenty-Four years old, brown-hair, neatly tucked under her green helmet. She was rather petite for her age. A kind woman who had been like an older sister to me.

"How far are we before the estimated meeting point?"

"I believe about two hours," I shouted to get my voice through.

Christina fell behind gently into her position. I continued to glance forward. 

................................................................................................................................................................

About an hour later, I could hear the sound of the horns. I tried to look further into the sea. It took a few minutes, but now I was beginning to make out the red sails. The symbol of an Anchor held by the First Merman - Bhismak Iro. I could feel pressure building up my throat and so I gulped for comfort. My chest began to hurt a little so I slowed my breathing down. The Achmans were here.