32. Adrian

It was a sunny day. I wore my best shirt to impress Elisa Vanderberg, applied perfumed oil to my hair and wore my hat. I knew that she would visit the Mother's Hearth for her prayers every morning, and I wanted to catch a glimpse of her and finally confess my feelings. 

"Elisa, you are the most beautiful woman in the world. I would ask for the honour to be my wedded wife. I am hopelessly in love with you, and I desire to raise a family with you."

I kept repeating this sentence in front of the mirror until I felt confident about the diction. In an hour, Elisa would be mine. 

"Adrian darling," my mother called out from the kichen. "What would you like for breakfast?"

"Nothing Mother," I called out annoyed as I readjusted my posture in front of the mirror. Satisfied with my appearance, rushed towards my front door and grabbed hold Reinmaster, my Horse. I galloped swiftly on my way to the Mother's Heath. 

Upon reaching there I dismounted Reinmaster and walked towards the duck pond in the center. I continued to repeat my words carefully and slowly.

"Elisa, you are the most beautiful woman in the world. I would ask for the honour to be my wedded wife. I am hopelessly in love with you, and I desire to raise a family with you."

An hour had passed and I did not find Elisa. So I decided to enter the Hearth and offer my prayers instead. 

When I came out of the Hearth, I finally laid my eyes on Elisa. She was with Michael Vogel, a farmboy who lived nearby. They seemed to be in deep conversation. Elisa was smiling and being coy.

I became excited and was just about to rush towards her when I felt my feet stop.

Elisa and Michael began to kiss each other passionately. 

It was almost a minute before they broke apart and Elisa turned towards me. 

"Adrian? What are you doing here? That's a lovely rose you hold. Is it an offering for the Divine Mother?"

I helplessly looked at Elisa speechless. And so Michael decided to interject with a sneer. 

"My betrothed just asked you a question, Webber!"

I was still too shocked to reply.

"That rose is for my Elisa is it not?" Michael began to laugh.

"Michael stop!" Elisa tried to intervene. 

"So the village idiot thinks that he has a chance with you?" Argued Michael with raised hands. "Look at him, Elisa! He has no friends, no brains, and certainly no future with a woman. Look at his face! No woman will marry him! Why would they want to rear children who will end up like him? Or worse, his deranged father!"

Michael began to laugh. Elisa looked at me with pity. 

"Michael that's not very nice!" Elisa tried to protest.

"You know what was not nice? When that mental nutcase that he calls a father to strip himself naked after getting piss drunk at the pub!"

I could not contain my anger any longer. My hands crushed the rose that was in my arm as I balled my fists and screamed in rage. I rushed towards Michael and punched him many times in the face until his eyes began to swell and his nose began to bleed. Elisa was screaming all along. When I was done, I turned towards Elisa who looked at me in fear.

She ran towards Michael who lay near the duck pond and knelt over him to make sure that he was okay. 

"Michael, are you alright?"

"Elisa," I called.

She turned around and looked at me with rage. "You deranged bastard! Stay away from me!"