19. Ursula

The younger Charles Arco was in a pensive mood. I looked over to Dhara as she stared at him questioningly. The guards around stood silent at the presence of Dhara but her eye was fixated only towards Arco.

Finally, she breathed a few words, "Leave us."

The guards looked at each other and left one by one. I too, turned to leave but Dhara would not have it.

"You can stay Ursula. I need a witness."

When Arco heard that, he finally brought his head up to look at Dhara. Even I had to admit, seeing him in a pitiful situation such as this, was not a very pleasant feeling. His arms were cuffed and drawn out wide as the cuffed chains were attached to either side of the room. He could barely stand and mostly knelt on the ground, with only the support of the dangled chains holding him up. His back was bleeding from what clearly had been Leslie's whips. It enraged me to see someone innocent being treated thus and I hoped that Dhara had better sense.

I was soon happy to learn that she indeed did.

"Your Royal Highness," said Dhara with sadness. "I must beg your forgiveness."

Arco remained silent, still looking at Dhara. I wondered if he was able to process anything she had said. Dhara walked towards the cell walls where the shackles were attached and loosened the chains from there. Arco immediately collapsed onto the ground.

"Ursula," Dhara said softly.

I immediately understood. I walked towards Arco and pulled him up against a cell wall. As I placed his upper torso against the wall, he winced in pain from the wounded on his back.

Arco looked at Dhara and finally spoke, "You are indeed not fit to lead."

Dhara looked at him confused.

Arco continued, "When many people around the city had learnt of a child replacing Wagner, questions began to pour as to why. When we learnt that the child was a splendid warrior and a student of Ashtadhi, it made perfect sense. Ashtadhi has a reputation for taking only child prodigies under his wing. Even Prince Dhwaj, the Blackbird of Piraha, was a student of Ashtadhi and a complete warrior by the Age of Fourteen."

"But you are no prodigy. Evidently. You are clever for your age, but certainly not a prodigy. The Guru's students are usually well-versed in political and diplomatic knowledge. Is that not true?"

Dhara looked at him blankly, "Yes sir. They usually are. But you are mistaken. I am a prodigy. Just not the kind people prefer."

"What kind of a prodigy are you Major Von Fiedler?"

"I am the greatest Musician to ever grace the Isles sir."

Arco smirked. "Fair enough. You're no prodigy alright."

Dhara scowled at the mockery and was just about to open her mouth in rebuttal. But Arco had more to say. 

Are you well versed in politics Von Fiedler?"

Dhara hesitated for a moment before finally deciding to tell the truth.

"No sir," came Dhara's reply. "I was never really the brightest student in his Gurukul. Not in history and politics at least."

"Then why did he choose to teach you?" asked Arco.

"I- I do not know. He found me as a street performer when he visited Macabara. I suppose he took pity on me."

"That man pities no one," said Arco caustically. "All that knowledge in the world and he chooses students who only fit his agenda."

This time, I could see anger reflecting Dhara's countenance. "Your Royal Highness, as a prisoner, I do you the honour of treating you with dignity. As your captor, I might choose not to bestow that honour, if you speak ill of my Guru."