2. Independence is Overrated

Carmine came downstairs almost an hour early. Normally she wouldn't even be up at this time, but she didn't want to take a chance on going back to sleep – the nightmares would only get worse if she did. So instead, she'd checked over her homework and read ahead a little for English. She was exhausted, but every time she thought about going to sleep, she was filled with a sense of dread. Finally, she got up. There was no way she was going back to sleep tonight, so she may as well do something.

She went downstairs and made herself chocolate-chip pancakes in the hopes that she would feel better. At least she could get a real breakfast for once, instead of the Pop-Tarts she usually had. She was busy drenching her plate in syrup when her mom came out to the kitchen.

"You're up early." she told Carmine.

"Yeah, I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep." Carmine told her.

She hadn't told her mom about those nightmares of hers – what was the point? Her mom would never understand; she'd probably just think Carmine was being a baby. And it was no good telling her that the dreams started happening after she and her friends had actually attacked a headless horseman. That would only get her a date with the best psychiatrist her mom could afford – if she was lucky. No, it was better to just ignore it. Maybe she would grow out of it. Besides, she didn't really see any other options at this point.

Carmine shoved the last bite of pancakes into her mouth. By the time she was actually done with breakfast, she only had a few minutes left before she needed to leave for school.

"You ready to go, honey?" her mom asked, grabbing the car keys off the hook by the door.

"I guess." Carmine said, trying not to pout. She'd been going to school for almost three months now and already she was wishing for summer. Maybe if she'd actually been able to get consistent sleep, she wouldn't be too exhausted to pay attention in class. Her mom tossed her the keys as they walked out the door, and Carmine only barely had time to react. Great. As if things weren't bad enough – she was going to have to actually drive to school today too.

She'd been hoping for a chance to get some sleep in the car, especially since she hadn't gotten much last night. But her driving test was next month and Carmine's mom really wanted her to get as much practice in as possible. Carmine didn't see what the big deal was – couldn't she just wait it out for a few more months? Like twelve? Forty-eight, maybe? But her mom wasn't going for it; she wanted Carmine to get her license as soon as possible so she could stop playing chauffeur.

"Can't you drive today?" Carmine asked.

But her mom was already opening the passenger door and sliding in. Carmine walked dejectedly up to the blue-gray Honda and got in on the driver's side.

"You need more practice." her mom told her. But Carmine didn't want more practice. She wanted sleep. And she wanted to quit driving altogether. Maybe she'd just take the bus for the rest of her life. Anna did it – how bad could it really be?

"But I hate driving." Carmine mumbled.

"You'll like it once you're more confident." her mom told her. "Besides, it'll give you more independence."

Carmine didn't care. As far as she was concerned, it was way too much work. She had to make sure she knew what was going on in three different mirrors that were nowhere near each other, and make sure she didn't hit anything in front of her. And she had to do it all while going like forty miles an hour! She didn't see how she was ever going to do this. It seemed impossible – and that was before she factored in the tiredness. Even when Carmine didn't have nightmares, she still didn't exactly get the best sleep.