44. Trapped

"Will you guys move out of the way?" Zev yelled at them.

"What are you doing?" Luke yelled from the other side of the circle. Carmine looked and saw him and Mia standing next to the table Adam had been on before Conner had rushed him.

"Don't move." Adam told them quietly. "Just watch. You'll like this."

Carmine and Conner both did as they were told.

"Zev?" Anna asked suddenly, looking up at him. Carmine had never noticed how big Anna's eyes were before.

"Yeah?" Zev asked, still looking at Adam. "Move!" he mouthed, motioning for Carmine and Conner to step to the side.

"Can I ask you something?" Anna said sweetly.

"Sure." Zev still didn't look at her. He was too busy trying to figure out why Carmine and Conner refused to get out of the way. Especially Conner – he probably had a pretty good guess about Carmine.

Anna put a hand lightly on Zev arm. "It's important." she told him.

"Ok, what?" He finally turned to look at her. There were no obvious signs that something was going on, but Carmine knew something wasn't quite right. Anna wasn't really a touching type of girl – and there was no way she'd ever put her hand on Zev like that.

Adam put his arms around Carmine and Conner's shoulders – like they were all friends. And of course, it was a great reminder for Carmine of how he wanted her to just stand there, watching.

"Are you ok?" Zev asked Anna. Even as he studied her face closely, he took a step backwards.

"I'm fine." Anna told him. And Carmine could finally see Anna's eyes changing color. "It was just something I was thinking of." she added sweetly.

Zev stared at her for a minute, his eyes slowly losing focus. Carmine took a step forward. She didn't care about Adam's stupid rule anymore – he was already breaking the one promise he'd made. Now, all Carmine wanted to do was make sure nothing happened to her friends. She was about to tell Anna to stop, but Adam grabbed her. She felt her heart skip a beat at his touch.

"Just wait." he told her.

Carmine nodded, feeling a little dizzy. She reached out to steady herself. Of course, Adam was there waiting.

Zev started to wobble, and Carmine knew he wouldn't last long.

Luke saw Zev's eyes start to close, and he made a move to go after him. He already had his holy water in his hand, waiting for a clear shot at Adam. But he'd obviously changed his mind at the sight of Anna and Zev.

"Luke, wait." Mia said, grabbing his arm lightly. He turned to her.

Suddenly, Mia grinned at him hungrily, like she'd been waiting for this opportunity all night. Luke dropped his bottle, letting it roll away. He took a step back and crouched down, like he was ready for this. Without hesitating, Mia dropped down right beside him, leering sadistically. She opened her mouth, ready to attack him all over again.

Mia grabbed his jacket tight, pulling him towards her roughly, as he was busy fumbling for something in his back pocket. She bit down on his neck, and Carmine saw his eyes widen in pain. It looked like he was fighting back a scream.

He finally grabbed whatever it was out of his pocket; it glinted faintly in the moonlight. He brought it down fast on the wrist that was still firmly attached to his jacket. Handcuffs. He shrugged one arm out of the jacket and grabbed Mia's other wrist. He pulled it under the bench, around one of the two poles that held it to the ground, and put the other one on. Then he grabbed Mia's head and pulled her away from him. And when he did that, he did scream.