Chapter 37: I'll Stand by You

Quentin

I'm surprised.

I did not expect to hear my brother saying he was team Cassie. Meaning he hopes that she and I get mated to each other.

Considering that he literally bet the car that she wouldn't, it's actually nice to hear it. A welcome break in this unusual Friday.

The tension is already getting to me and then Owen's lecture in defense of his beloved - I'm not talking about Elaine, though they have been inseparable since Monday.

I understand what he was talking about. I'm not stupid. I know that if I give a reason for my brother to fight me, he'll come at me ten times harder for a position that he doesn't particularly want.

I know this. I still remember the tough punches I got from him last summer. Jalensky is right, he never fought as hard as when I said I wouldn't want to be mated to a freak like Layla.

I know I talk a good game but Owen's right. I'm not unbeatable. And if I give a reason for Jude to beat me, it's gonna be that much harder for me to win the fight for Alpha.

I am aware of this fact. I didn't actually mean when I said I was going to expel Layla from our pack. It was a joke, people! Come on...

Anyway, after school was over I had to hitch a hide with Dragon since it's Jude's day with the car. Though he doesn't enter my house anymore, he left me at the door without a problem.

My dad hasn't arrived yet from work and my mom was in the pack house instructing the staff about tonight.

My brother was absent, so I had the house all to myself. It'd be a perfect opportunity for me to get Cassie here and properly say goodbye to her, but that's not how the cookie crumbles.

Instead, I take a nap because the night is young and full of terrors.

Later that day, Cassie arrived when I was still sleeping. Fortunately, Jude was already here so he let her in. She walked upstairs to my room and woke me up with a kiss. I'm gonna miss being with her. A lot.

We spent a few hours together in my room until it was time to eat. She stayed over for dinner and we shared what was probably our last meal together.

After she left, I got upstairs to get ready. It's gonna be a long night.

It's past 10 p.m. The pack house is crawling with teenagers gathering for the biggest event of the year. One way or the other, a Luna will be revealed tonight.

Cassie looks dazzling in a black gown, her hair is beautiful and I'm totally smitten by her. Our friends band together at one table because the party is raging on and will last for hours.

Owen and Elaine, Jalensky, Rachel, Cassie and myself are all looking gorgeous.

At another table, Jude and Beck, Layla and Blaine, Kingsley are also looking dapper. I hate to say it, but Layla does fill up a dress nicely. I don't wanna compliment her - and I won't - but hot damn! What a body! She looks fantastic tonight! *drools in secret*

Maybe she wouldn't be horrible to get mated to. Who knows? Not that I'm discounting Cassie in any way, shape or form.

"Wow. I didn't think this house could possibly be any more packed tonight." - I commented, looking around the crowded room. There are several spaces decorated for the occasion. Multiple ballrooms to fit hundreds of teenagers. There are also a few choice adults invited, of course. The cream of the crop to keep my parents company.

Speaking of which, my mom is a vision in a blue sparkling dress. My dad always looks good, but wearing a fitted suit he looks like a king. What a gorgeous couple they make, I hope to be like them when I get mated. *sighs*